Help with scope ring height

Stealth Stalker

Hi folks I've got my long awaited new rifle a .243 Tikka T3 lite, synthetic, stainless barrels & I've got a Leupold VXL 3.5-10x56 scope. Does anyone have one of these scopes & what height rings would you go for? There's a choice of extra low, low, medium & high I was of the opinion to go with the extra low as thats the reason for the crescent shaped scope, to mount the scope as low as poss.

Any ideas on this?

Cheers

SS

Doesn't make any odds as far as I can see, more important that the eye relief and positioning are correct so that it's comfortable to shoot.

When working out bullet drop for a non zeroed range you'd need to add into the calculation the height of the crosshair above the centre of the bore.

Other than that I can't think of any particular disadvantage with height, although people tend to go for the lowest they can which allows sufficient clearance between the scope and the rifle action.

I have the 6.5-20x56mm one on my Sako 243 and i would sugesst you use the extra low rings (optilocks), i have the low ones on mine and it could still be a little lower and better - it is best to get the scope as low down to barrell/bore as possible.

it also helps with the your eye hieght off your stock as you dont need to add comb risers or adjustble stocks etc.

I am confused here.

56mm is about as big as scopes get and the advice is to get extra low, what the hell do people need medium/high/extras high for??

I have an M695 and a 50mm scope and needed medium optilocks for that, and there is only just enough room to get a flip up cover between the scope and the gun.

Do T3's have a high scope scope rail :good:

Whatever hieght you get SS, don't skimp on rings, it may hurt when you find out how much they are, but it is worth it.

I am confused here.

56mm is about as big as scopes get and the advice is to get extra low, what the hell do people need medium/high/extras high for??

I have an M695 and a 50mm scope and needed medium optilocks for that, and there is only just enough room to get a flip up cover between the scope and the gun.

Do T3's have a high scope scope rail :good:

The leupold VXL scopes have a scollped bottom to them and curve aroud the barrel - so that you can use low rings the mount the scope

Take a look here - http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shootin...g-range-target/

I am confused here.

Do T3's have a high scope scope rail :unsure:

Whatever hieght you get SS, don't skimp on rings, it may hurt when you find out how much they are, but it is worth it.

It'll be the optilock rings. And I know about price, in the gun shop yesterday I made a stupid mistake thinking my scope was a 30mm tube so I now have a useless set of 30mm medium Optilock rings.

The gun shop was in deepest darkest Essex & we all know what they're like round that way :good: so I don't think I'll be going back in a hurry :lol:

SS

The leupold VXL scopes have a scollped bottom to them and curve aroud the barrel - so that you can use low rings the mount the scope

Take a look here - http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shootin...g-range-target/

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh it all makes sense now, thanks for the clarification, I wondered what an earth was going on then.

Have Butler Creek jumped on that one and made funny shaped flip up covers for them? :good: