Napier pellet lube, does it work?

SteveieP

A crude test but unlubed pellets stopped at page 400 (at 15 meters approx) of the Thompsom directory & lubed pellets went all the way through (approx 500 pages)

Not exactly scientific, I know & lubing pellets has been advocated since the Cardew's were lads.

Maybe it shifted crud out of the barrel, tho I tried it on 2 guns (whose barrels I thought were both clean) with similar results on each.

Figured I couldn't go too far wrong at only £2 for a (tiny) bottle.

Any views good,bad or neutral on the product?

A crude test but unlubed pellets stopped at page 400 (at 15 meters approx) of the Thompsom directory & lubed pellets went all the way through (approx 500 pages)

Not exactly scientific, I know & lubing pellets has been advocated since the Cardew's were lads.

Maybe it shifted crud out of the barrel, tho I tried it on 2 guns (whose barrels I thought were both clean) with similar results on each.

Figured I couldn't go too far wrong at only £2 for a (tiny) bottle.

Any views good,bad or neutral on the product?

Very intresting i have done tests on the yellow pages myself ( no lub involded though).

Were the shots in the same area? If so it seems like its worked well to me

On my first penetration tests they were near end of book making the shots at the end look deeper, but infact they had ripped through the less compacked pages. when i did it again i aimed near binding and it made a more clearer result.

I would like to try this myself shooting about 1 inch from the binding having a compact hitting surface, while using lube.

Well, 2 quid was a nominal sum to risk

Just thought that if it cost less than a pint of beer, if the worst came to the worst I'd drink the damn stuff.

In fact I have drunk some & now keep sliding out of bed (just jokin' don't try this at home folks)

Wondered if anyone else had given it a try, possibly in a more scientific manner & what the results were?

I was wondering what the out come woud be through a cronograph, with and without lube etc.

There have been tests, i remember one in either Airgun World or AirGunner. As you'd expect the lube did give a few fps increase over the unlubed pellets. They found it was best for reviving oxidised pellets! :lol:

Thank you for your reply Mr Weihrauch Sir,

I rather suspected my crude tests were flawed & what you say must be about right

Reckon the lube will clean the barrel a bit or maybe stop pellets oxidizing.

I'll continue to use it on the basis it'll do no harm but may do a little ( though negligible ) good.

Well that & I want to get my 2 quidsworth out of it (tight fisted sod) he he.

If you're in Victoria & your post was 1.29 p.m. GMT, I suggest you don't stay up all night answering answering "bone" pommie queries. Get to bed!

Thank you for your reply Mr Weihrauch Sir,

I rather suspected my crude tests were flawed & what you say must be about right

Reckon the lube will clean the barrel a bit or maybe stop pellets oxidizing.

I'll continue to use it on the basis it'll do no harm but may do a little ( though negligible ) good.

Well that & I want to get my 2 quidsworth out of it (tight fisted sod) he he.

If you're in Victoria & your post was 1.29 p.m. GMT, I suggest you don't stay up all night answering answering "bone" pommie queries. Get to bed!

:lol::lol: :o

It was only 12:29am. You'll quite often find me later than that. It's the only time that PW is really active. :)

• 2 months later...

well i heard of the pellet lube as my mate had some and i must admit it does work but for the size of the bottle it is expensive in my eyes

so one day in my shed i found some 2stroke oil and i just use that and it works every bit better in my airgun or any lube will do i guess even try spraying wd40 in to a tin with a few pellets in

so i guess any lube will suffice

but you have to try different things to see if they work it all trial and error

You cant put any old thing down your barrel as a lube :blink:

For a start, wd40 will 'diesel' when the trigger is pulled which might push you over 12 ft/lbs or knacker your barrel which ever comes first.

Napier pellet lube is excellant stuff and goes a long way as only a couple of drops are needed for a lot of pellets.

hi monkey

well its very true indeed about the wd40 , but a lube is a lube napier lube is a lube (a very thin oil)

maybe we shoudnt of mentioned the wd40

anyway,as i did show one of my freinds it on his gun and he been using it ever since any way his gun is a hw80

and il not say the results of the chrono test we done on it (but he was quick to get a silencer for it )

but with out any lube it was under 12ft lb doing around 590fps

Yes it does work, up untill 2 years ago I was involved in a big way in air weapon ballistics, using the best available chronograph it was found that lubrication of the pellets made a air weapon on the legal limit, on using lubed ammo instantly made it "over the top" However further tests made it obvious that simular results was obtained by other lubricants which cost only a fraction of some of the expensive alternatives available to air rifle owners. some chaps claimed coating their pellets in diesel oil was as good/or better than anything! also some said rolling their ammo in a wax coated cloth gave better velocity, I believe that these claims were true, and found in the end that the very best results were obtained by using lubricants that did not cause dieseling ignition!!"IE combustion" on firing which resulted in velocities that exceeded 1050 fps !! which allthough was very impressive on paper, but did not show good accuracity as the pellets being fired became distorted on firing and became "flyers down range" this does not imply that FAC rated weapons firing suitable FAC rated heavy pellets came into the same league!!.I have developed/and used .22 air rifles that exceeded 35 foot pounds energy and found that if the ammo is not suitable then you are better off using a .177 rifle, giving 11.5 foot pounds.... compared with all the hassle of of obtaining a FAC rated .22 rifle giving 22 Foot pounds which gives the same velocity/and flight time/drop to the target,