Nikon scopes

davo

Nikon scopes are purportedly made in Japan with some final construction carried out in the US for some models. Without foundation I suggest it may well be the case that Japan outsources other countries production to complete these products. Look to Korea, Viet Nam and China as possibilities.

I suggest you get the answer directly from the 'Horse's Mouth' and ask Nikon USA

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/contactus/contact.html

if you check the US varmint shooting sites it seems that burris nikon and leupold all have their fans who feel that there chosen scope is the best. I have a nikon monarch and a leupold rifleman. If you compare them you will find that the nikon is far superior, this is mainly because you are comparing a top of range scope with a bottom of range scope, I suspect a vx 111 would be much better than a cheaper nikon scope but this does not mean that leupold is better than nikon or burris for that matter.

I have compared my monarch (5.5-15.5x44) to a nightforce nsx as we were in a double high seat in failing light, the nightforce had no more low light ability than the nikon. I have no experience of burris scopes but suspect the performance of the fullfield and the monarch to be similar as that is what is being said on the US varminting sites.

I think that for the money the monarch scopes are really good value regardless of being made in japan the philapines or wherever. My only grumble is that the eye relief is quite sensitive and lateral head movement or anterior - posterior head movement on the stock can obscure the picture. I am a little suprised that the monarch 6x42 is not more popular in this country on stalking rifles, you can get a new one for £150 and it is exellenrt glass good build quality and a nice fine reticle (unlike a lot of european stuff that has really thick posts).

Pete