Best time to start decoying and advice please

Si-Bore

Hey guys

I am finding what other are in that I arrive at my shootam about 10.30 to find 500 pigeon grazing on the Rape. I either scare them on approach or get one shot off and they all fly. This is to be expected, but they don't return. Maybe one or 2 fly in at odd times but the flock goes into another field. Is it bad to shoot the same field a few days out of a week?

After mid day they seem to decrease in numbers and then nothing after 1 or 2pm.

Also they don't seem to interested in my decoys because I am shooting from a copse of trees near the edge of the field where it is safest but they seem to either see them too late or fly over into the trees above or fly on the the next trees. The farmr has given me some pigeon scarers to leave in his other field. :oops:

Help appreciated because I am really struggling to shoot more than 5. I fact I shot the 5 with my air rifle from the trees! I had no prob over the stubble in summer :good:

At least I am a free 'bird scarer' for the farmer! :oops:

Regards

Si

At this time of year shooting over rape, this is what normally happens. one shot and the rest disappear, the only thing you can do is put the scarers in the other fields to keep the birds moving.

and in regards to the getting the birds to decoy, if the birds are coming from behind you over the copse and they are struggling to see the decoys, put the decoys further into the field so they are 40-50 yrds out and if you have sticks to put your decoys on or cradels for birds you shoot they will help the birds to stand out more. also add a bouncer/floater as this can add movement to the pattern making it easier for pigeon to see.

hope this helps.

Also try getting there a bit earlier. at this time of year i find the majority of the pigeon start ther morn feed at about 9 till 12.

If you are shooting with an air rifle then maybe a few lofting pigeons in the trees above you may help as the birds will land in the trees and you can take them there. it will be easier to shoot them in the trees then in the rape field as the rape will hinder your view of the bird.

hope this helps.

Thanks guys. Will try the earlier start. My girlfriend can get the bus. :good: I am shooting with SG normally but took the rifle last time so I could pick them out the trees discreetly. :oops: The copse is both good and bad I feel. Good for giving the pigeons a landing and flightline but bad in the fact I am limited to where I can position the decoys for good view for the pigeon. The wind is predominantly SW/W and that lead to the wind in my face, back to the copse to get a safe shot. Not too good. I am going to try the other side of the field where they sometimes fly over so i can optimise my postion and decoy visibility.

Cheers all

Si