Great Expectations??

Guest charlie--chalk

Guest charlie--chalk

has anyone else noticed the huge numbers of rooks, pigeons etc that are already feeding on the game cover crops even before they have been topped off! this i presume must be down to lack of food available due to the weather we've had. could this mean in the coming months these birds are going to be easier to decoy?? i certainly hope so coz the maize plot i can see from my house has about a 1000 crows and rooks on it!!

does any1 else have such high expectations??

There are a lot of birds about and they will have their favourite areas to feed, but I don't think we can claim there is not enough choice of food for them.

The birds in my area are still preoccupied on berries and are in the hedgerows and woods, very few are spending time on the rape fields.

If the birds in your area like the game cover crops, they will surely visit them again when they are topped.

We haven't had any serious cold weather, or snow in the South (yet?), so they are not going to be easier to decoy because they are short of food, in fact they are still spoilt for choice.

There are a lot of birds about and they will have their favourite areas to feed, but I don't think we can claim there is not enough choice of food for them.

The birds in my area are still preoccupied on berries and are in the hedgerows and woods, very few are spending time on the rape fields.

If the birds in your area like the game cover crops, they will surely visit them again when they are topped.

We haven't had any serious cold weather, or snow in the South (yet?), so they are not going to be easier to decoy because they are short of food, in fact they are still spoilt for choice.

Round our way they are hitting OSR extremely hard, seems to be berries etc about aplenty but still they're preferring OSR.

They flocked up later than usual though due to the amount of natural foods, but since the frosts hit before Xmas they're hitting the OSR hard.

SS

This winter the acorn crop has failed in my part of Norfolk so plenty of pigeons feeding on rape most of the time. However every now and then they desert the rape for fresh sugar beet stubbles. But they only feed on them for a few days before returning to the rape.