He obviously forgot about direct debits!

myuserid

he could get the money back no problem as the DD mandate will have a forged signature but that wouldn't be particularly newsworthy

"However, in a rare moment of humility, Clarkson has now revealed he has lost at least £500 after an unidentified reader copied his details to set up a direct debit payable from his account to the British Diabetic Association.

The charity is one of many organisations which does not need a signature to set up a direct debit.

even if the details are submtted electronically thats counted as a signature. The DD guarantee ensures that if anything goes through in error then the funds will be refunded. You can't just submit someone elses details for DD's had they put £5million in would he have laid back and taken it or got the funds back.

every cheque you write has your bank account details on if it was as easy as you say then we're all in trouble

How would he prove he didn't submit the direct debit if it was done electronically?

He gave them his bank details, address, even his car details I seriously doubt you could find out who did it. JC probably isn't bothered its only £500 and the money went to a charity, serves him right anyway.

that would be down to how seriously the It security is done, but it is fraud and the charity would re-fund it if asked straight away and not argue. I've just looked at the registration page and it does ask for home address phone numbers and e-mail confirmation so I'm sure if it was looked at closely some wouldn't tally.

JC having a sense of humour has just let it go but I bet it doesn't go through again next month