Left barrel firing pin misfiring sometimes

Si-Bore

Hey guys

Was out shooting some clays with a friend this afternoon when I noticed the left barrel had a couple of mis-fires. This happened with a few different types of cartridge too. The firing pin looks ok and doesn't drop forward when the gun is tipped down - which is what I was told to indentify if the pin was broken. Can anyone advise me on what may be the problem.

Ps when I push the left pin firmyl - I can move it back into the casing and can't move the right side pin at all. Could this mean a weak spring?

Thanks

Si

Ps when I push the left pin firmyl - I can move it back into the casing and can't move the right side pin at all. Could this mean a weak spring?

Certainly sounds like it could be!

What did the primers look like on the cartridges that failed to fire? Did the strike look weak (very shallow dent)?

Certainly sounds like it could be!

What did the primers look like on the cartridges that failed to fire? Did the strike look weak (very shallow dent)?

Yeah - shallow dent. I held the gun upside down as advised to see if the pin was broken but it didn't pop out.

The only way to be sure is to open her up and check the mechanism I guess but it sounds like the spring has weakened or, as Henry said, it might have broken or partially collapsed or become unseated somehow.

Thanks mate.

Is it a difficult job to open her up? I have opened it up so I could clean the trigger unit but have not taken the boxlock section off. Are things likely to pop out? ;)

Cheers

Si

I would reckon your problem is a broken pin damaged at the break that will now be shorter in length so creating a weak strike yet presently not too short to misfire consistently.

If it is an AYA no 4 you will need a tool to remove the discs that retain the firing pins.

If you try without a tool you will most likely damage the little holes and still not remove them.

AYA discs are always tight - too tight - I think they heat the action then screw them in as tight as they can so they are almost unmovable.

You can make a tool by welding a short piece of 1/2" bar to the end of a screwdriver shank and drilling two holes the correct width apart about 90% through and inserting two pieces of hardened silver steel or piano wire so they fit in the discs and leave no gap between action and tool.

I would suggest you first drill the holes in the discs the next larger size (NOT the centre one) and get the piano wire as perfect a fit as possible. DO NOT use too large a drill - it must not reach the edge of the disc.

Once removed the pin may be broken just in front of the centre boss. You can buy new ones easily for about £5 each but they need to be shortened to length at both ends so they have at least 1 thou gap between fired tumbler and pin shank and are not proud of the action face when the tumbler is cocked and the pin back. Also ensure they are not too long for the barrels to push them 'home' as you open the gun after firing although the firing pin springs (like pieces of Biro spring) should return them in time.

AYA no 4s have a spring to assist the return of the fired pin as the barrels are opened and usually the break is just in front of the centre boss of the pin and includes sufficient of the chamfer to still retain the spring so the nose of the pin will not necessarily drop forward as you hold the gun downward.

AYAs have 'V' mainsprings that are usually considerably stronger than they need to be so rarely cause weak strikes - the only other area is if someone has tried to adjust the trigger pulls on the sear bites and has cut back the bite on the tumbler so not now allowing it a full throw. If it has been shooting ok for you this will not be the case.

You should not have to dismantle anything else but should you wish to do a full strip and clean then email me and I will try to guide you through the dismantling and reassembly process step by step. It is easy but needs to be undertaken in order and needs a knowledge of where to use force and where not.

Edited by mry716

You said about one pin being softer than the other to press in.

If you can push one pin in easier than the other there may be a mainspring related problem as unlikely as it usually is.

How long have you had the gun? Did it work fine, say last season?

If a recent purchase then I suggest you return it to the shop where bought for their advice.

What you can do is to fire the gun on snap caps and then remove the inspection plate. That is piece of metal on the bottom of the action and is done by removing the centre screw and then tapping the plate from between the lump cutout (holes in action flats) When off you can see the insides - at the front (fore end end) are the cocking dogs pivoting on the front screws in the sides of the action at the knuckle. then the tumblers and lastly the sears going back into the stock to the triggers. These have a flat long spring with a 'L' on the end to hold them under tension.

Now using a piece of thin wood cock the action by pressing down on the ends of the cocking dogs (the end nearest to the triggers).

Do it 2 or 3 times and see if the pressures are different when you push at the same point for both sides. Do they move the same amount before cocking the action. You will see the sears click into place as the tumblers move as you push down the cocking dogs.

If the pressures are the same and the travel about equal all is ok and it is just pins.

If not you have other problems that need further dismantling to sort.