Firing pins on a s/s

Glenshooter

My Spanish sidelock S/S has had a number of misfires during a couple of rounds of sporting. While I accept that the cartridges that have to be used on the ground may have "hard" primers which may also be deep seated, none of the o/u guns suffered the same. The gun has just been serviced and it was working fine for the gunsmith. He did check the springs and thinks they are fine, as the gun has a history of infrequent misfires ie 1 in 50 or 100 shots. (Another s/s today had the same problem but that may just be coincidence.)

Is it possible to get longer firing pins for a gun? It is possible that the primers are seated a tad deep, and therefore longer firing pins may be a possible solution.

Any opinions/suggestions please?

I would not try longer firing pins myself, because unless they retract fully into the action when closing there could be the chance of them coming into contact with the unfired shells, have you changed your usual ammo lately? when you have a misfire have you checked that the primer is not recessed slightly? does the unfired shell show slight indentation on the primer where the pin has struck it? Is it allways the same barrel that misfires? if so I would change the springs over and see if it is now the other barrel that is misfiring, if so it will show you are correct in your opinion that the springs have weakened.

have you changed your usual ammo lately?

Yes, can only use the club's ammo on their ground.

When you have a misfire have you checked that the primer is not recessed slightly? does the unfired shell show slight indentation on the primer where the pin has struck it?

I have a shell that was "struck with me here, it has a small/shallow mark where it was hit and the primer is slightly recessed. Only very slightly though, probably less than 0.5mm.

Is it always the same barrel that misfires? if so I would change the springs over and see if it is now the other barrel that is misfiring, if so it will show you are correct in your opinion that the springs have weakened.

Was usually the left barrel but last time, it happened in both barrels. Making me think that it is the cartridges. However, it is my gun that has suffered much more that any others.

Will get it back to the 'Saddlery and Gunroom' who serviced it recently, the gunsmith there is a decent chap.

Thanks for your reply, appreciated.