Skeet - The Basics

WGD

I've shot mainly sporting clays for the last couple of years with mates as a social outing and to keep the eye in (supposedly!) during the closed game season.

I had a few lessons on the Olympic Skeet range at my local ground when I first started out a couple of years ago but that was just to get me hitting targets and get a feel for swinging the gun. I've shot the National Skeet range with mates just to give it a try - it was good fun. Can someone tell me what a "round" of 25 skeet targets consists of please?

Sorry if this is really basic but hey, if you don't know just ask!

Cheers

William

If you've shot the National Skeet Range, (presumably Bisley?), you should already know more than most, anyway have a look at this:

http://www.a6ctc.co.uk/50.html

This covers English Skeet only, not Olympic or NASSA.

Cat.

:good: wrong terminology again from me obviously - one of my mates described the section of my local shooting ground we were shooting on as representing National Skeet discipline, my mistake. Sorry.

Is there any difference between Scottish and English clay disciplines - Scottish Clay Target Association website decribes National Skeet (SK) as a discipline hence my understanding (or lack of!):oops: Extract from their website below:

"National Skeet (SK);

In this discipline a standard round of 25 targets are shot from 7 stations in a semicircle.

At the ends of the semicircle are the High and Low trap houses from which targets are released on a fixed trajectory and within defined limits. A set combination of singles and doubles are shot from each station and scored on the basis of 1 point per target hit.

The gun position is optional (i.e. either pre-mounted or out of the shoulder (gun down) when the target is called) and the targets are released immediately upon the shooter's call.

Competitions consist of shooting 100 targets over 4 rounds."

I just don't know what 25 target you shoot from the 7 stations given that 25 doesn't divide by 7 I'm guessing it's a bit more complicated than that!

WGD

WGD,

- Station 1 Two singles and a double

- Station 2 Two singles and a double

- Station 3 Two singles

- Station 4 Two singles and a double (the shooter must nominate the first target of the double to be shot at)

- Station 5 Two singles

- Station 6 Two singles and a double

- Station 7 Two singles and a double

24 shots in total plus one spare, to be taken on first missed shot or if no shot missed then an extra shot on Station 7, shooter to elect preferred target

Simple summary is this :-

one round is 25 targets shot over 7 stations, moving from coming towards / going away, in a semi-circle so that the targets change to quartering, through crossers and back through quartering again and back to away towards.

1 high single low single then a pair

2 high single low single then a pair

3 high single low single

4 high single low single - you nominate which bird to take first on the pair and must shoot that first

5 high single low single

6 high single low single then a pair the low bird to be shot first on the pair

7 low single high single then a pair the low bird to be shot first on the pair

If you have been adding up the targets you'll have noticed that's only 24. If you shoot all 24 you will be asked to nominate high or low bird for your 25th target. Upon missing your first target you will be asked to repeat it, this only happens the first time which also counts as your 25th target.