Sound Moderated Shotguns

I have the opportunity later this year to shoot a small farm which is quite close to a local village. Although generally the residents are proper country folk and very tolerant the Farmer has heard of these " New fangled quiet shotguns" and will only allow me to use this or the Air rifle.

The rifle will be fine on the bunnies but the last couple of years there have been so many pigeons hitting his small rape fields and cereals it would not be practicable to use an air rifle.

Has any one used the Hushpower system?

How does it work?

Can I get a gun converted or do I buy the whole thing complete?

Are they any good?

Any help will be gratefully received

FM

I had a .410 silenced for ground work and close magpie destroying and with sub sonic carts they are excellent. As for how they work they basically drill holes down the side of the barrel and slide a silencer over it.

Hope this helps.

Leon

Mike,

Thought I'd put the case for the prosecution.

I had a .410 Huspower some years ago and found it somewhat carp (spelling!) I actually fired at a sitting rabbit at 10 -12 yards and it ran off. Even I ain't that cross eyed, so I tested it and the patterns were super carp verging on the abysmal.

If you try the 3" cartridge, the pattern is non existent; I gave it up as a bad job and traded it in.

I'm told that the 12 guage with sub sonics is OK, but before spending the dosh, I advise you to have a road test.

The design is ... inside a full length Al shroud the barrel has a series of ports drilled crossways (badly, mine had lots of peeled back edges) The final 10 inches is a series of baffles a bit like a car silencer. In terms of noise reduction it was

first class; as a killing machine it was, well.... carp

Oh yes it's a ****** to clean properly, bits of wad get caught between the barrel and the shroud.

Try before you buy Bonnie Lad.

regards

Eug

i say to buy the 410 hushpower as i bought one about a month ago and cant put it down , i have shot pigeons in flight at 35 yards and easily knocked out rooks and also find it brill with the bunnies , but use the smallest load as the 3inch magnums kind of negate the hushpower system .

pete

EM,

Why not to prove he's not killing them at 35 yards, let him have a shot at your backside at that range? :)

Underestimated little gun, the correct gun in the hands of a competent shot a 35 yard pigeon would be no problem.

EM, old boy its an easy shot when you get an idea of the pattern at 35 yards by testing the shoton a pond you can find it out very easy , i find that its easier to kill rooks at 35 yards or more than the pigeons and with regards to proving it the gamekeeper at my shoot is still shocked by it especially when he was with me .

pete

Pete,

If you provide properly researched, measured, authenticated and reviewed proof that a 2 1/2" .410 consistently clean kills flying woodpigeon at 35 yards range I'll give you best, and present you a free two day ticket to the CLA Gamefair at Bleheim.

Just think what you're claiming...

35 yards = the distance 35 yards occupies on a surveyors tape.

35 yards = the distance to a point on the ground above which the bird was struck, not the slant distance, nor the place where it landed.

Consistent clean kills = 90 + % of birds hit will expire in the air or not more than 10 seconds after hitting the ground.

easy shot when you get an idea of the pattern at 35 yards by testing the shoton a pond

Thats where I went wrong, I only pattern tested Eley, Winchester and Remingtons on a plate over measured distances.......... just as a by the by how did you fix the point in the pond for your tape measure? Knock a peg into the water? And how did you count the holes?

I culled the following from the fourten resource site...might be of interest to you. Fourten resource

Winchester 2½ in. cartridge with ½ oz. load and crimp closure. The will kill cleanly out to around 25 yards while the 2in. ammunition is useful up to approximately 20 yards.

I prefer 9s in the short shell because the extra shot allow a denser pattern than anything larger, and within 25 or so yards, they kill fine. [1] (There actually is a very scientifically derived formula for comparing the lethality of shot, but I won’t bore you with it.) I have personally used this load only on doves, and when I use it, I try to keep my shots well under 30 yards.

I have said before (and I shall repeat it whenever I have the chance) the tightest full choke can not make a .410 into a 40 yard gun, but an improved cylinder or loose modified can make a .410 into a very nice 20 to 30 yard gun. Perhaps that is why I love the .410

Pete, all I ask is that you take a tape and keep a genuine score!

Regards

Eug