Rear Diff gone :-(

ashcmt

As it says on the tin,

My mate down at land ranger services in atherton, is sorting her out for me, he's just trying to source me a diff.

Sounds like i've got a bag of spanners for a rear diff, makes some right funny old noises, not all the time tho. i never thort on to ask my mechanic however, whether it was still ok to drive around, its still on the drive while I wait for the diff to come in.

however, i have only drove it very local, as i'm assuming that should it 'go' then i'll be well and truly stuck. Anyone knows what happens, when the rear diff completely fails while in motion???

regards

Ash

My rear went in my Series 3. A lump of old half shaft (which another numpty had not removed) jumped into the planetaries and the whole thing just went BANG! Still have the photos at home.

Result was no rear drive and , as above, I engaged diff lock and drove home (carefully & slowly) on the front axle. Luckily it wasn't far and the damage was so bad there was nothing left to engage and jam ;)

But it could 'possibly' have seized but I would most likely expect it to self destruct and explode through the casing.

Worse scenario is it will punch a Hole in the rear axle bulge...... LB

[OT alert]

Funniest thing I saw relating to this subject was at an AWDC trial a few years ago. A chap in a SII Landy was driving road taxed class, and it was one of his first times off road. At lunch, he attempted to do a handbrake turn. The second time he managed a 180 spin, during which there were two loud bangs and two trails of black oil. The AA man was still there when we left, and looked like he'd be there a while longer.....

[/OT alert]