Decoying pattern not getting attention?

Si-Bore

I'm still in the experimental phase of pigeon decoying. I am using all of the traditional style pattern shapes but I strangely remember in the summer last year when out with the air rifle, throwing the pigeon about in random places, setting them in the ground and witnessing much interest among the pigeon with some of them landing even though there was not much about.

Now I realise that the pattern experts say to leave a wide gap in the back of the pattern etc for landing but just wondered if anyone has tried a severly random pattern to good effect?

When I was watching a large flock of pigeon feeding today on the rape at 11.00am, they were scattered everywhere, overflying each other to land and in different directions and angles, there was no 'arc' to the feeding pattern at all, just a mass of feeding pigeon. I am starting to wonder if my perceived 'random' horse shoe pattern is random enough to look natural. I have a lack of interest on the rape field at the moment even though they are obviously feeding on it after seeing them today. They often fly straight over without checking out my offering. :lol: :confused:

My hide is always well constructed and blends in well. I use plastic decoys, a few of which on springs which look fab in any breeze and have just invested in a magnet. I have a frozen dozen birds now in the freezer which I intend to use next time out. :good:

Cheers

Si

I think we all have our proffered pattern; I tend to use the horse shoe most of the time, I spread my decoys out and space them about a metre apart, then put more decoys amongst the pattern but I point them in different directions and have some close together, as I shoot more I add them to the outer edge, place a flapper to one side and a couple of peckers to add movement. I have found over the years this for me has been productive.

It pays to experiment, as what works one day may not work the next time out, so give it a try.

The main reason for shaping your layout deliberately is to bring the pigeons into range.

When I have used an open random pattern, the birds have been reluctant to overfly the layout, or land in the empty spaces.

They have always landed on the perimeter, which keeps them out of range.

I believe the strength of the wind has a lot to do with pigeons approach to any decoy pattern.

If its blowing hard, they tend to come in and commit to land much quicker.

When its barely breezy, they take their time and will often fly around a few times before committing.

Sometimes they will even fly off over a few fields and then come back, thats why I always keep an eye on departing pigeons..

I have to say that I am with Cranfield on the wind thing. It is exactly what I noticed, the only other thing I can say is that if there is the slightest thing wrong with your pattern they usually veer off long before you get a chance to shoot !!!!!

I had this yesterday and made a few minor adjustments ( changed from a wide horseshoe to a more elongated one ) and the few that flew over had at least a good look but I still missed them !!!! :lol::lol::lol:

YOU ARE SPOT ON WITH THE WIND THING LADS AND I THINK IN OILSEED RAPE THE DECOYS SHOULD BE CLOSER TOGETHER THAN YOU WOULD DO IN THE SUMMER N THAT ALWAYS WORKS FOR ME A OLD GAME KEEP TOLD ME THAT 1 YEAR N IT HAS ALWAYS WORKED SINCE JUST FORT I WOULD LET YA NO THANKS.