My first shoot

doof205

Hi everyone, i'm totally new to the world of shotgunning and went out today for the first time ever, and on some land we just got permission on a week or so back. The land is fantastic, there must be 60 acres and several hundred pigeons flying about in the woodlands.

So how many did we bag on our first outing (7.00am til 12)...yea, you guessed it...0!!!

We had about 4 opportunities to shoot and either didn't take them or missed, only fired about 4 cartridges each! We were just wondering how to go about things next time. Should we stay in one place or move around stopping in different locations for say half an hour? How important is a hide? We had camo gear on and crouched by hedges but didn't have a hide as such. We also tried shell decoys and they appeared to do absolutely nothing.

Are there any good guides out there on the basics of pigeon shooting, its gutting seeing them all in the distance only to get a few shots and miss.

Lets hope next week is diffferent, still i enjoyed it and had plenty of exercise walking round!!

Cheers,

Lewis

hi lewis

getting a hide is a must as for shot size 7,s or 6,s i think 6,s kill em better but 7,s have more spread as for going out and getting 0 everybody in same boat this time of year so keep trying mate you,,ll get there

by the way welcome to forum :good:

keep knocking em down

cjw

Hi Lewis, I prefer 32g 6's for most of the shooting but 5's for high or long birds. The 5's have more stopping power but have more gaps in the spread so likelyhood of missing or clipping the bird becomes more at distance. It's my prefference not everyone would agree but that's individuality for you, as long as you enjoy it and drop a couple now and again what the heck.

Pigeon shooting can be frustrating at times especially over rape, you may spot 100's for days feeding on it but when you get there and take your first shot you may never fire another all day. Moving can sometimes work but then you will always think "I wonder if they went back" I don't move very often but sometimes it works out ok.

Get yourself a pigeon magnet, and some good shell deeks then set up before the first flight, use real birds on the magnet if possible they seem to work a little better, and of course a good hide with decent seat, you will need one especially on those slow days.

Hope this helps and good luck, there are lots of good guys on here who will help out and most with more experience than me, just keep the posts coming and you may even teach us a thing or two soon.

Cheers

Steve

Another question...whats the best time to be getting them? Maybe a rough timetable of a pigeons day?

7.30 bunch up in a tree

8.00 ****** off to feed somewhere that i'm not

18.00 - come back to roost

Do they even follow patterns or do they just get up when they can be bothered? I know i would if i was unemployed like them.