Camo Clothing

Millsy

I could do with some advice if anyone can help.

About 2 months ago, after getting soaked & frozen, I decided to get some better clothing for when I`m out shooting rabbits,(air rifle mainly).

Nipped into Bromsgrove & after chatting to one of the staff at the shop, I was sold some Deerhunter trousers & coat,(not exactly cheap but was told they were amongst the best). To be fair, they do the job very well & look the business, but I aint got close to a rabbit since I started wearing them :lol:

At first I put it down to just me being useless, (thought I`de admit that before someone else mentioned it), but my son noticed that the suit had a "shine" to it, & at a distance, my form could be seen quite easily even if I was tucked into a hedge!

My questions are:- should I wash the kit to get rid of the sheen? (would this then take away the waterproof element)?

Should I have a range of different kits & use according to the season? (frightening thought divorce :angry: )

I prefer to stalk my prey as opposed to using hides, & my sights are set to approx 30 yards. I`me not getting any nearer than about 80yds at the moment :good:

Still fairly new to shooting so any advice would be welcome :good:

Millsy

I bought a Deerhunter coat a couple of years ago (from Bromsgrove as well) and the coating is Teflon which makes the water run off when it’s raining.

I washed mine and the Teflon was washed away making it a lot more like a sponge. The “Deertex†lining actually stops the water from coming through, but the fact that the top layer is wet and cold gives the impression that the coat is wet all the way though. I don’t wear mine in the rain anymore although I think Roger sells a spray to re-proof it again.

G.M.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are referring to rabbits in an area where you have shot before, it's probably not your cammo, but the rabbits. Once they have been shot at, they cotton on pretty quickly to anything that has a hint of danger (they get jittery as we say darn sarf). Like all wildlife, the more that they are disturbed, the more nervous they become. As an example, A pair of crows had four young on my patch last year, I have been shooting them over the past 9 months or so with the .223, I managed to get the final one last week in the fog with a 12, it had not been possible to even drive within half a mile of the last couple, even trying different motors. Those who shoot rats will also tell you, the first night is great fun, after that it is hard work!