Ive never seen such a big Flock

Fisherman Mike

As some of you may be aware Im a member of the BTO and have carried out several bird record surveys for resident breeding species. We are generally skilled in the art of estimating big flocks of birds like waders and the like by estimating howmany birds in a square and how many squares cover the flock

But yesterday on the M5 outside gloucester heading towards Tewkesbury I saw the biggest flock of Pigeons Ive ever seen.

I wouldnt like to say how many but there was more than 5000 and less than 10000. :hmm:

Some poor farmers rape has been getting a hammering

Any local guns seen this birds.

Cold weather does the trick !!!

FM

Despite the fact that we've had a lot of big flocks move in this winter, it does seem in the last week or so that even more have come from somewhere.

Can we have a smily that rubs its hands together please :D

I think they have always been there but the cold snap has really concentrated them.

They are hitting rape fields around here in areas that they would not normally touch.

In fact Ive just had a tennant farmer on the phone who farms on the Bathhurst Estate locally who is desperate for me to get out this weekend on a field that ive never seen Pigeons on.

If it opens up another 10,000 acre estate then I might just enter the very lucrative world of commercial decoying on the 25,000 acres at my disposal............Can we have a smiley that rubs its hands together please and has pound signs in a bubble :blush:

( Only jesting Will Im too busy in Construction) :lol:

FM

Well i traveled to Southampton today via Salisbury and there were loads of Pigeons around the Salisbury area..

also went via Chippenham on the way back, not an awful lot going on, but there was Pigeon ativity just before the farm where i shoot, look like they were going onto rape i think.

This could be the start of something good, i hope

Cheers

Ian

Despite the fact that we've had a lot of big flocks move in this winter, it does seem in the last week or so that even more have come from somewhere

It is my guess that they have left the day roosting woods in the big estates all across southern England disturbed and thoroughly sick of the batallions of roost shooters who were unleashed earlier in the month!

CB

Edited by Country Boy