sunday sunday

the last engineer

in veiw of some of the high temp posts of late ,id like to add one of a lighter note ,a tale of a little pigeon called lucky .

its sunday the 8th here in edmonton ab ca at 8.22 am pmt im in work doing the worky thing (in other words none of my guys wanted to help out with the work load ,,,,,so whats new ) typing a little here machining a little there and so on ,

but whats this peripheral vision kicking in ,a swoop of wings B) a flash of feather :lol: a slight of hand :P a bird afoot :D there he goes a pigeon in the shop!!! ;) over to my trusty tool/gun cabinet out with the .22 air gun, weapon of choice ,door opens ,,,,,,,no gun :P:/ what now ha ! air line copper tube and any old pellet found in the drawers mod the line jam in the pell' hook up the line and off to track el elusive pigeonee ,,,,,,,,,found him approx 45ft away up in the bleachers hanging out in crane world ,,,,,take aim calc in a little for updraft (machines are hot) 2" below and let fly thwack off the girder into the roofing and no more pells to use (no more holes needed in the roof either) i sat a little dejected at the lack of accuracy i had but had to try (irresponsible i hear the cry )

maybe ,maybe not . the little pest has been by the roller door (open at the mo) for an hour now taunting me ,the shotguns in the car ready for the range ,but i best not even think about that side of the damage fence ,anyway thought id just share that annoying moment with you all ,,,,,,,,, wait whats that ,,,,,goffer running through the shipping office see ya all soon gotto gooooo............. :blink:

LE,

Reminds me of a time when I was doing my apprenticeship at David Brown Tractors in 1970. A few of us were shooting lads, so one week we decided to make our very own PCP air rifle.

We took the barrel and action from an old BSA Meteor, re-machined it a bit, added a few bits and pieces, and hooked it up to the main compressed air line

in the factory............probably the first ever BSA Meteor to do 20 ft lbs !

Absolutely no accuracy at all, but boy did it break milk bottles well.

Unfortunately it also it broke the foremans office window well too.........public flogging for three enterprising apprentices, and 20ft lb BSA Meteor dismantled and destroyed.

Those were the days !

did the same thing as an aprentice browning, remember a time when all the guys were on strike ,,,probably over softer toilet paper ;)?

took my old HW35 E stripped out the spring and tried a couple of power press return springs (rated for a 650 ton/per/sq inch,whoes a pretty smart boy then B) )

didnt even get to cock it thought the barrel was going to bend ,back to the d/board

avathane bushes great idea worked a charm broke all the grinding wheels at the end of the shop, quiet too :blink: no bounce ,not to sure on the power rating but shot like a demon ,at that time who cared ?? now though :*) :*)

martin

I know its not quite the same but I served my apprenticeship in plastics. We used to have lots of 45 gallon drums layabout and hundreds of cans of silicon release spray cans all over. We used to stand during quiet times spraying the aerosols into the 45 gallonn drums. When finally bored and the drum felt cold enough we would make MEK fuses and light them. The sound is like nothing you have ever heard and the speed the drums build up while flying across a car park is something to behold.

jimDfish

P.S we also used to saveall the old overalls and when a new starter came on site we would don these along with welding hoods and throw acetone over each others backs. As the young lad was being shown around the workshop we would set fire to each other and roll out of the door in fronmt of him screaming all the way. V.dangerous but bloody good fun.