When to shoot....

Whizzo

I've just started shooting pigeons over decoys ...with mixed success.

When is the best time to shoot them, i.e. just as they stall about to land or on their approach. Any suggestions welcome

Also: What are you're opinions on using clay pigeon cartridges ie 28g 7 1/2's for woodies?

PS Great forum, only found it recently

Welcome to the site Whizzo.

I generaly wait untill they have commited themselves to the pattern but saying that i will ,shall we say take more "sporting shots" as conditions allow.

same goes for roost shooting ,wait till they are in range and commit themselves to a particular branch and blam!!!

Any shot you take ,as i am sure you know, should be intended to dispatch the bird outright.

As for cartriges , it depends on what suits your gun and your style of shooting.

use a few different types untill you get one your happy with.

hope this is some help to you ,good shooting.

Regards Sutty. :huh::angry::/

Like most questions, I don't think there is a right, or wrong answer.

I try to shoot the pigeon as soon as I consider it is in range and providing a clear shot.

If you wait for a "better shot", it never seems to come and you end up trying a more difficult shot.

I would not use less than size 7 shot for pigeons and in fact, use size 6 shot in 30gm loads.

Hi Wizzo,

you have found the best site for shooting of all types so welcome.

I would say the best way to set up when you first start shooting is with the wind blowing on your back, this way the pigeons will be coming straight for you as they come in on your decoys.

This way you will have much easier shots that will help build up your confiedence, the pigeons will be coming straight for you and to take them down its a nice smooth sweep upto the bird and bang.

If you have the wind coming from the sides then your birds will be crossers and not really the sort of shots you want to start off with.

As you improve you can set up with various wind directions and you will find that by setting up first with the simple shots you will start to take down the faster crosser and high birds.

The good thing about setting up with the wind blowing on your back is that is helps to gauge what sort of range you can takes birds down, after a bird has dropped walk from the hide in a straight line and pace out to the bird counting your steps, this will help you when you when you have other shots on in the future.

I must say its very important not to start with crosser as its about walking before you can run, I have shot for a few years but my shooting was all walking up through woods, its was very different when I started shooting pigeons over decoys.

I am very comfortable now with setting up with the wind in any direction because I have adjusted where the wind is coming every time I have gone out ,and bit by bit increased my shooting skills by doing this.

Give it a go, setup for the straight ones first and when you are knocking then down 75% of the time then go for the wind coming over your shoulder from an angle it will help you no end I promise.

Welcome again and happy shooting.

The PM