Decoying help?

Stillsy

Im good friends with the local farmer, and he has given permission to shoot wen ever on the land! it is mainly rape with some growing wheat! the problem is im not sure about these flight lines! i get out and watch a field covered in birds, and the birds attack the field from all directions? i drive to the hill, which over looks most of the land, with the binoculars, i pick out pigeons, flying in all direcions? any help on identifing them? also if there is snow forcasted this weekend, what tips are there to attracting the birds to a snow covered field? thanks

Im good friends with the local farmer, and he has given permission to shoot wen ever on the land! it is mainly rape with some growing wheat! the problem is im not sure about these flight lines! i get out and watch a field covered in birds, and the birds attack the field from all directions? i drive to the hill, which over looks most of the land, with the binoculars, i pick out pigeons, flying in all direcions? any help on identifing them? also if there is snow forcasted this weekend, what tips are there to attracting the birds to a snow covered field? thanks

I have found the best time to identify a flight line is after the early morning feeding frenzy 08.30 ish this time of year, that is when they have filled their crops and flown back to the sitty trees to digest, as they will have different amounts of food to digest they will be returning to the field to feed again at different times, ie in dribs and drabs, it should be relatively easy for you to see where they are coming from if you start at the feeding field and trace them back a field or two, possibly to a nearby wood.

If you set up your hide to intercept them on route either way better sport can be had imo than shooting on the actual field.

This type of pigeon shooting can be very exciting, and demanding, when there is a strong wind blowing to keep the birds flying low and fast, I have shot pigeon that have been flying through the gaps in the hedgerows doing 70mph with a wind behind them. Giving them 3 weeks lead :blush:

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

:blush: D2D

Sometimes its not always easy to spot strong flightlines from a distance and you have to be on the field to locate them.

Watch the field and see where they are landing, look for any well grazed areas or look for areas that are sheltered from the prevailing winds.

If you can set up a hide on or near any of those spots, you should get a result.

It will also give you the chance to see where the birds are coming from in various conditions, enable you to build up a picture of that field and you may need to relocate your hide accordingly.

Its no coincidence that shooters who regularly shoot over the same fields get good bags of birds.