Advice wanted

Gordon R

Just returned from St Ives, Cornwall. I rented a cottage - £500, for 22-29.3.2008. It was actually in the centre part of St Ives - ideal - but I asked for a secure rear yard with a high wall. I have two large Akitas. Arrived Saturday, yard appeared to be shared with a neighbour. Phoned letting company who said only I had access. I wasn't really happy as I wondered if the neighbours knew this. No reply to knocking on door. Later that night, my wife came accross literature left by the owners, which made it clear that it was shared space. It even asked us to keep the dogs off the left hand side. We had travelled 365 miles or we would have gone home. Rang company on the Monday - they accepted a mistake had been made, but blamed the owners. I asked what they intended to do. They said they would contact the owners and get back to me. They never did get back. Ruined our holiday as we had to accompany the dogs every time they wanted to go into the yard - each day before we went out and in the evenings when we returned.

I have written to them asking what they intend to do to put it right. I still have e-mail copies clearly stating the requirement for a secure yard, the reasons why and confirmation that it met the requirement.

I have given them ten days to respond. I was thinking of Small Claims Court and / or Trading Standards. Any advice?

What would be a reasonable solution?

Edited by Gordon R

Trading standards are a waste of time but free. There appears to have been some misdescription and or misrepresentation so might as well stick a report in but don't hold your breath.

Do you have any emails / correspondence / on the booking form where you specify the requirements for the dogs? The agents are likely to lie through their teeth when the poop hits and deny all knowledge.

Sounds like a small claim but you will need evidence.

Mungler - thanks for this. I have the e-mails where I specify that I am taking two dogs, the requirement for a secure area and why I needed these. I have the replies from the letting Company where they say they have a suitable property that meets these requirements. I also have the receipts, the booking form and the extra charge per dog.

Jonno - if you want to take dogs and have a secure garden / yard - you have to pay it. It was actually £580.71. I have put the dogs in kennels the once - never again. If I didn't take the dogs, I would not be self catering. I would have a nice time in a hotel, being waited on, swimming pool, bar. I would still have been in St Ives. I love the place. Nice atmosphere and no yobs.

The Company have just e-mailed back. They are awaiting contact from the owner. They are checking what they were told at the start of the letting season by the owner, compared to what information is held in the property.

Edited by Gordon R

gordon this isn't advise on your situation

but i know how you feel about kennels once and once only for me

another alternative is dog friendly hotels were going to this one in August and it has comes higly recommended from friend of mine who go there every year

and because they dont allow kids under 16 the prices dont shot up in the summer holidays

"click here"