dies

following on from my shopping list post I need some advise on dies?

I am going to need to get dies for my 6.5*55 & .223 and don't really know what I should be paying or looking for, the .223 is the one I'm going to start on and then get the 6.5 once I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Can somebody give me some advice?

Cheers Jon

Edited by Yonic

I went outside the box on the dies for my 6.5x55 and bought a set of Hornady Custom.

I've used RCBS and Lee for the last 35 years, but the Hornady is the best finished and best designed die set I own. Bought them new on Ebay from a US seller and got lucky with Customs - there were so cheap they didn't open the parcel.

Having said that, I added the Lee Factory Crimp die which I honestly believe is the best value tool there is for ensuring consistent, concentric crimp and making a significant contribution to consistent pressure (all other factors being equal).

When I had a .223, I used Lee dies (including the collet neck sizer and the Factory Crimp dies) with very satisfactory results.

Don't get sucked in by price and name - some of the most expensive and exotic kit out there is actually worse than the cheaper stuff.

Good luck,

Charles