gone off rape

KennyB

i shoot over 3000 acres of rape had some good days but it has dried up now that is getting longer, do you think the best days have gone and i should leave it till the stubble or is worth stayin with it,any advise please

kenny : :lol:

Edited by kenny5406

I have been shooting today on rape, there were thin patches and the birds were coming in quite steady.

They will also drop into the tractor tracks and walk in from the headlands.

Watch the fields, when the birds stop coming in, thats the time to move on to something else.............like peas, or clover.

Birds still all over the rape over here. The trouble is it is that much longer and making it harder to spot the *******. IF you have "Hidden" Dips on your permission, by that I mean an area of a rape field that is hidden from casual disturbance, then go and check there and I bet you'll find 9 out of 10 times that area will have been eaten almost barren.

I know on the estate last year we had two such areas where the birds didn't get disturbed at all mainly because nobody could see them and they couldn't see anybody to get spooked, result a huge barren patch measuring approx 200 yards x 300 yards. Once we found it we managed to get some good bags from Mid April through to May when the eaten rape was trying to re-grow as young shoots again and it kept the birds coming back in for easy pickings.

SS

I was out this morning and after checking 20 odd fields of rape none had any numbers of birds feeding on them. Just the odd small gorup of a dozen or so , not enough to be worth setting up on. We did however find some big flocks on clover ( unfortunetly both had ewes and lambs on them so could not be shot ). Also a number were found scattered over a lot of the wheat fields , feeding on chick weed. But none of the wheat fields had a strong enough attraction to make it worth while decoying on.

No the pigeons have not 'gone off' the rape.

They will continue to feed on it - the smaller plants - right up to harvest, of course you won't see them unless you know where to look and are patient, remember that from now on they are moving about only in small numbers dropping in here and there unoticed and once in the crop they will be invisible, hidden by the height of surrounding crop.

It pays to take a walk down the tram lines to the areas restricted to vehicular access or any roads close by.

Cheers, C.B. :no:

Now is the time when decoying gets bit tricky. Rape does still get them in, but as the flocks have broken up into small groups of between 2 and five, its difficult to spot them. Eating chickweed and/or clover on any field is occuring, but difficult to decoy them. Spring drilling of peas is probably worth the risk one or two days after it has been done (Gives the birds a chance to find it). Otherwise rely on recceing properly, finding the flight lines and getting under them for the best sport.

Roll on the laid fields of wheat and barley for really exciting sport.

SS

• 3 weeks later...