How long can you shoot on stubble field

Whizzo

Hi

The wheat in our area has been cut 3 weeks ago, and the numbers of pigeons do seem to be diminishing (ie noot as interested in that field etc).

Some of the fields have been scorched by the farmers.

What advice do you have regarding setting up camp on the non scorched fields. Will they still come to the decoys, or do I need to find where they are feeding.

How do you set up a decoy pattern on uncut wheat fields

After 3 weeks, the pigeons will probably have mopped up most of the spilt grain and be looking for better fields.

The big exception is, where Farmers have left some badly laid areas and cut round them (this has happened in my area).

These should attract the pigeons for quite a while.

I have never decoyed a stubble field that has been burnt and I haven't noticed pigeons being attracted to them.

The only places I set up on a standing wheat field is, on any laid areas, or by placing floaters in the tractor tracks, near laid areas.

Farmers aren't too keen on you wandering around in wheat that is about to be harvested.

Whizzo

Pigeon and duck will flight into stuble for approx 2 weeks - 3 weeks after harvest and then move on to the next harvested field, they will however as Cranfield says come into laid wheat or barley but tend still to drift into freshly harveseted fields.

If you get a splash of water in the field watch out for duck, this is ideal for them.

Foxsy

• 3 weeks later...

For reasons not to disturb our pheasants, I only shoot only boundary fields on our estate at this time of the year, one of these is stubble. It had muck spread over it last week, I had no options but to decoy and rotary for pigeon over muck covered stubble, and yes was successful :devil:

The plough cometh..

As previously said the pigeon will move from field to field as the harvest progresses. However once all the crop is in the food source has to change. Acorns etc become favourite for a while.

A few years ago we shot a stubble field all winter long, right upto early spring when it was ploughed etc. We shot the field once a fortnight, but dont expect enormous bags.

webber