Ladder Traps

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of their gaps in the ladder on their traps. ie width and length?

We have been dismayed at the performance of ours so far. I sat and watched it for an hour today and was suprised to see the blacks going in the trap, beating up the call bird, eating the bait and flying out again throught he ladder !!!! grrrr !!!!! Funny thing is the call bird hasn't managed to escape, must be one of those darwin theory things?

I also wonder if our ladder is too close to the ground and they are jumping out without having to flap much?

I made mine identical as recommended by MAFF(Now Derfa), but made mine sectional for ease of moving around. Last year caught just short of 200 in it. Doing well this year, just short of 100 already. What's the birds getting out, some suggest less distance between rungs for Jackdaws, but I have no problem with Rooks and Crows and occasional Jackdaws. What height from the ground is the ladder, I'll measure mine up, but it's around 4'6"

Dave

Can you post your trap, are you sure they are not running up the wire?

Deffo sure they are not running up the wire, sat watching them just fly out.

Will have to see if we can raise the thing on legs or something though as the bottom of the ladder is only around 3' from the floor atm.

For the top of the trap, could you just make it completely flat? i.e. with no peaks at the edges? Also does it need to be that big, I'm looking for something simple to costruct and this looks easier than a larson. Then just put in the the normal ladder in the middle.

I havent made one yet Teal. I'm looking to get something built soon and I think the ladder will be easier than the larsen and if the roof where flat easier again. The problem is where these rooks are its right beside a main road and i'd like to use a trap so I could be descrete and also dent the population without taking up too much of my time.

The good thing about the peaks is that is where the birds will fly to try and get out (highest place) and of course there it is impossible. Is your roof flat splinter?

No, it's the traditional V shape ladder at the bottom. I guess i just have smart crows grrr...