Can anyone ID this model bsa??

glamour

Hello, can anyone help me??

This is about my dads old BSA, i don't know what model it is but it's probably from the 60's (swinging). He never uses it so he's happy to just let it rot, but me.... I'm different, i want to sort the **** out! I think it would be perfect for grabbing to kill these pesky pigeons that are always around our garden. The thing is it sounds like a cannon! I'd like to clean it up inside, change the spring and seals and stuff maybe so it's running nicely? The thing is i dont really know how and i havn't seen a strip down topic on any of the other forums for this gun (dunno if any of you have? maybe you could pm me a link if so).

I want to change the scope for something actually decent but i'm unsure about the mounts, hopefully you can see in the pics how they are and can point me in the right direction.

Also due to the gun being really loud i thought of chopping off the end of the barrel and threading it for a silencer... the barrel is 5/8ths though, it that doable with a silencer or are they all metric these days?

I KNOW people might say dont ruin the gun, but i can't imagine it being worth any real £££ so it'll give me something to do.

Anyone service springers at resonable cost??

Anywhoo, heres the pics

DSCF0993.jpg

DSCF0994.jpg

DSCF0995.jpg

DSCF0998.jpg

Looks like a old Meteor to me. One of the early ones with the scope that came with it, 4 x 20 if I remember correctly, all plastic. I don't think that this is one of the first Meteors as I don't recall the scope having ribs on it. My father bought me one of these on my 12th birthday. They cost £12 then, an Airsporter was £20. That would have been in 1957, so I would say that your dating is correct. Shot just about everything with it, rabbits, pigeons, and several other species. I believe that the name Meteor was under the scope.

Edited by bob300w

Axe will be able to tell you what colour underpants the guy who assembled it had on, he's the official PW Meteor expert. :mad::good:

Nice period scope and a clean looking gun :good::hmm:

edit,

please don't mess with it, it's a tidy example and although not worth a fortune it would be a pity to ruin it.

Edited by tosspot

I just fired a shot through it! GOD DAMN, bout knocked me over! Smoked aswell... I think ill get it fixed up and change the scope if possible and keep the old one to put back on if needs be. I didnt really want to hack it up, it was jsut so noisey. I'll see what can be done. Hopefully the guy you spoke about will be able to tell me more.

cheers lads

chris

The number you need is located on the underside of the breech where the cocking slide arm connects. You will see a small number on one side that starts with the following corresponding rifle marks:

Mk1 = N & T

Mk2 = NA & TA

Mk3 = NB & TB - NG & TG

Mk4 = NB & TB - NG & TG

Mk5 = NH & TH

Super5= NH & TH

Mk6 = ZE & WE

Hi Glamour.

The rifle is definately a Mk1 Meteor.

The plastic scope should be either 2x or 3x depending on the age.

You have not mentioned if it is .177 or .22.

Either way it would only be good for shooting live prey at very close ranges.

You say that it is producing clouds of smoke so it sounds as if it is dieseling.

If you continue to use the rifle whilst it is dieseling it will cause damage to the insides.

These rifles are very nice moderately powered plinkers. Please don't chop the barrel or butcher it in any other way.

I love these rifles and if you decide to sell it please get in touch and we can try to come to some arrangement.

Regards.

Dave. (Musicman.

Edited by musicman

The number you need is located on the underside of the breech where the cocking slide arm connects. You will see a small number on one side that starts with the following corresponding rifle marks:

Mk1 = N & T

Mk2 = NA & TA

Mk3 = NB & TB - NG & TG

Mk4 = NB & TB - NG & TG

Mk5 = NH & TH

Super5= NH & TH

Mk6 = ZE & WE

Mine has the number NE50921 in the place that you mention, any ideas on the year? It's well over 20 years old, and it's definitely a Meteor, as it has the name on the air chamber.

• 2 weeks later...