PEREGRINE FALCON

Highlander

Crossing the Orwell bridge about 16.00 today and knock me down with a feather but there's a peregrine large as life sat on the parapet where normally the 'jumpers' go over. Plenty of (fast) traffic right past his domain but there he sat surveying it all. Is he nesting on one of the under bridge ledges or was he just passing through I wonder?

I wouldn't have been surprised through the Winter months, when lots of Peregrines go to the coast and marshes, but the fact that he's still there at the end of May would indicate that he may be breeding in the area. I don't know how big the Orwell Bridge is but it could be an ideal site. Quite a lot of Peregrines nesting on man made structures now :lol:

The Orwell is quite a decent sized bridge, but it's not that tall. The bit where the jumpers go over is not more than about 6 feet or so high. It's also all concrete. However, there are lots of places below for something to nest and the foreshore has a load of wildlife.

My mum had a peregrine take one of her doves in the garden a couple of years ago. She's not that far north of the bridge.

Great effort Chard :good: Great birds are perigrines sadly dont often see them but was in Scotland last year and about to shoot at a snipe when there was a real noise like paper tearing and a peri tried to nail the snipe from way up but didnt succeed and i didnt even pull the trigger

They also say that its due to better conservation. But where there is food eg. ferrel pigeons the peregrines will follow.

That bridge looks like a good place to pounce on a passing pigeon.

All that they have done is provide a platform for them to nest on its not a bird box as it has stated in the article. As there natural nests are built on cliff edges.

There should be no publication on any peregrine nest sight but as this one is in a place that is difficult to get too and loads of traffic it should be alright.

Df