Newbie shooter needs lessons

JonnyR

Hi All,

A fried of mine has recently taken up shooting and needs some lessons. Can anyone recommend anywhere in the Kent area for him to go. He lives in Caterham so Caterham Clays is an obvious venue but I don't know if there are any instructors there.

thanks, Jon.

Caterham Clays is not really a suitable venue for giving lessons - as a monthly competition shoot there is little time for an instructor to give you the time that is needed to develop good technique. Stands and target presentation are not ideal for training at this kind of shoot.

Lessons are much better conducted in a shooting school environment, where there is not queue of regulars breathing down you neck wanting to get on the stand, and where the targets are set up for training purposes, and the stands are built to allow an instructor in comfortably with the pupil - or skeet ranges are used.

Cliff Hughes at Dartford has the facilities to provide unpressured 1-2-1 training in Kent, and I use the private facilities at Ridgewood outside Reigate ( as does Alan Bush and Mike Brett).

Our contact details are all on the CPSA website

Jerry Parks Young

Senior CPSA Coach

Caterham Clays is not really a suitable venue for giving lessons - as a monthly competition shoot there is little time for an instructor to give you the time that is needed to develop good technique. Stands and target presentation are not ideal for training at this kind of shoot.

Lessons are much better conducted in a shooting school environment, where there is not queue of regulars breathing down you neck wanting to get on the stand, and where the targets are set up for training purposes, and the stands are built to allow an instructor in comfortably with the pupil - or skeet ranges are used.

Cliff Hughes at Dartford has the facilities to provide unpressured 1-2-1 training in Kent, and I use the private facilities at Ridgewood outside Reigate ( as does Alan Bush and Mike Brett).

Our contact details are all on the CPSA website

Jerry Parks Young

Senior CPSA Coach

I agree with Jerry. A private facility makes for a more relaxed, less pressured experience. It can be off putting having experienced people watching you.

Mike

CPSA coach