Shooting a small patch of laid wheat

Si-Bore

Hey guys

There is a patch of laid wheat approx 6-8m2 where the pigeon are flying into feed on. I just wondered if anyone could give me some tips on doing so in terms of decoy setup, magnet and bouncer use. The wheat is approx 1m high so visibility on the way in (from the pigeons view) will be restricted. I was thinking of using a bouncer on the edge to attract and a few decoys in the limited space. Would it be worth using the magnet? If so where?

Thanks

Si

I'll watch this post .... I was out on the pea with the same problem.

tried to shoot so they land on the headland but very hard... shot 41 found 8 !!!!

Answer may be hardly any decoy needed ( I used my magnet and 2 bouncers) a small dog?

I don't have a dog unfortunately.

Guest Mr Pieman

Presuming you want to pick the birds up - that's my 'please don't just kill things and leave them there' moment!! - you need to try to make the flattened patch your killing area. As previously mentioned, long sticks work well. The secret (in my opinion, I'm sure others will offer something that works for them too) is to imagine the crop height as the field-of-view height of the pigeons. So, cut yourself some decoy sticks that are the height of the crop, plus around 18 inches - this allows for the decoys to be visible above the crop, and some stick to be pushed into the ground!!

Once you have your sticks, choose your decoy pattern and try to make the kill zone the flattened area. The traditional 'horseshoe' works quite well, the the horseshoe being arranged around the flat area, leaving it for the birds to drop in to.

It is very tempting to put decoys into the flattened area, but this (IMHE) tends to just make the area smaller and the birds shy away.

If the flattened area is very large, I've had some good days by just sticking a rotary in it, towards the edge. Again, you have to make sure you can shoot the birds so they drop into the flat stuff, if you want to collect them afterwards.

A dog is always good - but be careful working them in cereals, especially barley - it can play havoc with eyes, noses, paws etc!!

Presuming you want to pick the birds up - that's my 'please don't just kill things and leave them there' moment!!

Taking the birds home is always my intention (unless I'm shooting crows). I don't like to waste them but if it were to be at the expense of damaging the farmers crop then I would leave them (not feeling good about it).

Thanks and i will do my best to shoot them over the laid section.

Si

Guest Mr Pieman

Hi Si

the reason for my comment is every now and again, we have people around us that shoot and leave the birds - even on drillings!! Although they don't get asked back again, it doesn't look good!

We all tend to lose a few, but making the effort, without causing more damage than the birds - as you rightfully mention - sets us in a good light :-) :good::lol:

I went out last Sunday over wheat, just used the rotary with dead birds on, had the arms raised up as high as they go. placed it on the edge of the laid patch into the wind, so as the birds came over they spun round into the wind ready to land into the laid area and the rotary was not in their way. Didn't use any other decoys. I tried to discipline myself to only shoot over the laid patch, end result was 40, retrieved 36, Did have the help of my old mans dog in the afternoon though. :lol:

Hope this was some help.

Chris