.410 ammo

i am seriously considering a .410 for rabbits. only downside is the high cost of cartridges, do many people reload there own and if so what equiptmet do you use and where do you get it from?

is it much more cost effective to go down this route?

James

It certainly is, this is one of the few instances where loading your own shotgun cartridges is cheaper, especially if you buy the components in bulk. To do it really on the cheap, buy a wad punch and make your own felt/fibre wads, just leaves primer, shot and powder to buy. Most powder companies give out free loading charts that include 410, if you can't get one, drop me a PM and I will post you one, I have a couple here.

yes reloading your own .410`s is a long cheaper i been doing the .410`s for a few years now

idealy you need a roll crimping tool

and a set of scales for wieghing powder

i use 12 grains of aliant 2400 powder with 14gramms of shot and had some good results

BUT NEVER TRY TO USE MORE POWDER THAN RECOMMENDED AS IT WONT DO YOU ANY FAVOURS

as they are 7pounds for 25 where i live i reload my own

you can use fireformed .303 cases in your 410

first you need to make sure they in good condition

make sure they been fired and deprimed

then heat them up till cherry red then quench them in cold water to anneall them (makes easier to fireform them to you gun )

it does work out cheaper to reload these cartridges for the 410

last tub of 2400 i bought i can make over 400 cartridges out of the one tub

lead shot is a bit pricey but still worthit have a look around your gunshops dont be scared to ask for advice from them on stuff you not sure about

cheers guys, big bonus for me the owner of the local gun shop is my dads buisness partner and i get big discounts. i just found out they still stock the .410 cartridges so am going to buy a box and see how cheap i get them im hoping itll come down to the same price as 12g ones.

i am still really interested in loading tho.

James