chokes again, sorry guys...

myzeneye

good lad chard... on your toes as always... im sure this will be help to all the newbies here...

cheers

What the chart doesn't mention is the length of the shot string, which lengthens the more you restrict the spread. This can be a bit handy on long targets, as long as you get the line right and make sure you're in front of the target, a good long string means it's quite hard to miss :lol:

Mind you, getting the line right and making sure you're in front are easier said than done :hmm:

Edited by Chard

Chard

The diagram you posted does show the effective effect of choke on shot string if you look. Study the distance at which a 40" diameter shot spread is achieved across all chokes detailed.

Thanks for posting this, I've made a point of saving it.

webber

Chard

The diagram you posted does show the effective effect of choke on shot string if you look. Study the distance at which a 40" diameter shot spread is achieved across all chokes detailed.

Thanks for posting this, I've made a point of saving it.

webber

It doesn't show the length of the trail of shot, back towards the gun, which can be very long. Some "experts" argue that no advantage can be gained from a longer trail of shot, but I don't understand their logic. :hmm:

As far as I'm concerned, if you take a shot at a long distance crosser and succeed in staying on line and in front of it, even if the denser blob of shot at the front misses it, the clay can still fly into the trailing string of shot and be broken. These "experts" say not, but offer no explanation for their statement. In the absense of a sensible explanation, I'll ignore them :lol::good:;)

i went bashing clays today with 1/4 &1/2 in... and on the sporting was hitting them a treat.... nice easy teals to get my eye in....

however, when i went around to the dtl or skeet etc.. they were much quicker and further away, so i suppose a swap of chokes was in order.... however, ive never seen anyone fiddling with there chokes there and also, i didnt think it wise to do whilst the barrel was hot/warm...

do you swap chokes around the various traps or go for an all round combo???

i went bashing clays today with 1/4 &1/2 in... and on the sporting was hitting them a treat.... nice easy teals to get my eye in....

however, when i went around to the dtl or skeet etc.. they were much quicker and further away, so i suppose a swap of chokes was in order.... however, ive never seen anyone fiddling with there chokes there and also, i didnt think it wise to do whilst the barrel was hot/warm...

do you swap chokes around the various traps or go for an all round combo???

I hardly ever swap chokes during a shoot. I shoot with half choke in both barrels. Occasionally, if one of the clays is very close, or comes in very close, I put a skeet choke in that barrel, to give myself a wider spread at close range.

But that's all.

Now and again, when I think I'm getting sloppy, I replace both the half chokes with full and three-quarters and shoot at everything with those :good: . It makes you concentrate a bit more on accuracy, instead of spraying shot around the place and hoping for a lucky chip :lol: .

Other than that, I leave well alone. It's possible to get quite hung up on chokes if you're not careful :hmm:

Edited by Chard

• 4 weeks later...

I think most of the stuff reguarding chokes making much difference (on clays at least) is a load of bull.

Tried an interesting experiment a couple of weeks ago. Was at the clayground having a shoot with the ground owner, and he'd set up a high tower 60m away (measured) to throw crossers. This is a LONG way, longer than you're likely to ever shoot most sporting or DTL targets at.

My Beretta 687 had 1/4 and 1/2 chokes in it, and I was managing to hit these 60m crossing targets, even with the 1/4 choked barrel, with just 24g of 7.5s. The ground owner was also managing to hit them, with 1/2 choke in a Beretta semi and 24g of STEEL shot!

Now I've seen this, I really do think that anything more than 1/4 choke just makes things harder on clays most of the time.