Franchi Hunter S/A

Ninj

Got the offer of a Franchi semi auto for decent money but it doesnt have any chokes. Does anyone know what chokes they take? It sounds like its an external one.

How hard are they to come by?

Is the hunter a reliable enough rough gun?

Any advice, thanks

Rich

Edited by Ninj

Hmm, it was described as having a large external extended choke on it but only has the thread cover, no spare chokes.

Its a touch tighter than cyl, so improved type choke.

I dont really want a fixed choke so might need some further investigation.

Thanks for the reply

Rich

Edited by Ninj

Had a look at it today. Not sure if its an older/newer model hunter but it doesnt have the black and silver action with game scene, just a plain silver action with scrolling.

The muzzle has a inch or so long collar around it and I assume chokes are fitted into the barrel and the collar screwed back on.

Anyone know what these are and if theyre get-able?

Thanks

Rich

Edited by Ninj

is the outer of the barrel threaded as on my franchi law12 if so the chokes simply screw on, there is

no other attachment for securing it.

check with whoever imports them used to be gmk maybe they can point you in the right direction.

rgds

harv

Yeh thats the sort of thing. I think theyre called "screw on"? So the whole outer part is replaced when you swap choke or does something fit inside it to adjust the constriction with the collar fitted over the top?

Any ideas if theyre the same thread as anything else?

Im just having a look about to see which model it is as I think you were right with the hunters being fixed choke.

Cheers again

Rich

The chokes simply screw on and are indented for a key i presume of which i have never had just handtight has been fine for me.

they are all the same diameter/ thread at the barrel end then reduce to the various choke size which also extends the length of barrel by about a couple of inches( or 6 inches if your telling the mrs). :/

Yup, thats the ones.

I assume same rules of internal chokes apply - dont fire the gun without them, or is it not an issue as there are no internal threads to damage?

Ill have to keep digging to see what if any I can find.

Thanks a lot

Rich

Should the hunter have the reversible recoil governer for light/heavy loads.

Mine doesnt seem to have the adjustable collar, or is that it at the other end of the spring at the reciever end?:

DSC_1076.jpg

Edited by Ninj

So it looks like the collar has been fitted at the wrong end of the spring? Ive read a few peeps swapping them round the same way as Brownings are, perhaps what has happened here.

So this is the correct way around?:

DSC_1083.jpg

And this is what Franchi call the recoil governer ring?

DSC_1081.jpg

Edited by Ninj

that is a 48 Al, 35th anniversary edition. It has been butchered a bit as the gun came with 28" tubes and a fixed modified choke. I'm going to guess that the ring in the center of the mag tube is to constrict it to 2 in the magazine. I have an original, unmodified one at home and it doesn't have the same ring.

It is recoil operated like the browning A5 and remington model 48. Take it out and shoot it as you have it arranged. Keep it on the 'light' setting unless you are pushing more than 32 gr loads. The heavier setting is for magnum loads which (if you read the manual) means 1 1/4oz.

Despite what the manual says, keep the mag tube cleaned and LIGHTLY oiled. The manual calls for no oil, however a tiny amount of light gun oil will keep the gun cycling smoother. If you find that the gun doesn't cycle, it probably needs a good cleaning. It looks in good shape from the pictures, but you never know what has built up inside the action.

Also, don't be surprised when you need to empty the magazine and you can't do it by racking the action a few times. That doesn't work with a Franchi Al 48. You have to take the first one out of the receiver. Then close the action with the release button (don't catch your fingers). Flip the gun over, push the release button, and push in the shell carrier up. There will be a little latch that holds the shells into the magazine. You'll have to push it in and let the first shell slide out. Repeat for the second.

Thanks

Rick

Thanks very much Rick, very interesting. It has a very similar action to the older 'Eldorado'which was a higher grade 48 sold in the US apparently, but this one obviously has the anniversary engraving.

Yep, it does have the crimped mag tube. Just wish the chokes were a little easier to come across.

I gave it a good strip and light oil over the weekend and it was in very good nick for a 15 year old gun. Had about a hundred 28g shells through it tonight with no jams or misfeeds - very impressed.

Luckily I had a play with it before I shot a round so had (accidently!) discovered the little mag release button.

I think its had a bit taken off the stock because its only got about 13 1/2" pull including the recoil pad. Wasnt expecting to do much with it at the clays but just shot my best round tonight so big :) from me.

Thanks again, top gen

Rich

Edited by Ninj

Also, don't be surprised when you need to empty the magazine and you can't do it by racking the action a few times. That doesn't work with a Franchi Al 48. You have to take the first one out of the receiver. Then close the action with the release button (don't catch your fingers). Flip the gun over, push the release button, and push in the shell carrier up. There will be a little latch that holds the shells into the magazine. You'll have to push it in and let the first shell slide out. Repeat for the second.

Thanks

Rick

you can still rack em out by depressing the button on racking :)

Thanks

Rick

you can still rack em out by depressing the button on racking :)

Harv,

Not on this gun you can't. The cartridge release latch is not connected to the action release button. You can push the action release button all you want and it isn't going to release a shell up into the gun or out the bottom. The only way that the release latch operates is when the barrel recoils to the rear. There is a metal 'nub' as part of the barrel assembly that flips the latch when the gun cycles. On the way back the nub on the barrel slides over the release latch and lets a shell loose. You can confirm this by doing a few things. One, take it out into the field and try to empty the gun by racking the action (with or without holding the button down). Ain't going to happen. Two, once you're back home make sure the gun is empty and put it butt first on the floor with the action closed. Push down on the barrel and it will cycle just as if you had fired a shot. First, there will just be resistance against the action spring and the bolt unlocking. After about 2" of the cycle you'll hear a light click which is the magazine release for a new cartridge. Then you'll get a lot of resistance which is the firing pin spring being compressed and the action will hold open at this point. The barrel will come back forward to its natural position. That is how a recoil operated gun works except instead of you pushing the barrel down the recoil of the cartridge is pushing it back (by pushing on the bolt face which at that point is locked ot the barrel).

The A-5 will let you rack out the magazine. I think the remington model 48 will let you cycle through the magazine. The Franchi Al48 does not.

Thanks,

Rick

I assume then Rick, this is the same reason you cant put two carts into the magazine and rack the action to load one into the breech?

I know some guys prefer that to putting one into the breech and one into the magazine.

Rgds

Richie