Flighting to sitty trees

game_boy

Theres a feild I have permission on that is a cut field of barley. Behind which is a row of sitty trees. I've seen about 2 rough flight lines into this field and to the sitty trees from woods further back down the flight line. What sort of pattern should I be using to best effect ? The horseshoe with the open end of the U facing them so they flight straight into it ? Or a random one ?

The previous week I was in another freshly cut field but I had problems with the wind direction as it was intermittent and therefore I wasnt sure what pattern again to use, Any suggestions for when the wind doesnt have a particular direction or there is none at all?

Thanks for any replies, apologies for the two questions as I intend to the shoot the flightline field on Saturday all going well early doors.

Many thanks for the replies.

I think random is the way to go then. Also I have two floaters so they'll get used as well, i guess as incomers to the pattern or one incomer and one angel?

I think its a good time in my area to be hitting the stubble as I know of only two fields in the imediate area which have been cut in the last 2 weeks and I have permission on both. Also with the rain we've had its put the rest of the harvest behind hopefully concentrating the pigeon on to my fields.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i tried to decoy that field a few weeks back and got one pigeon and three crows! Wasnt even after crows. The pigeon came into the deeks perfect almost before i sat down in the hide and bagged it. The the rest of them just flew overhead ignoring my deeks, maybe a magnet would do it?

Might try that LB, just that the sitty trees are right beside the road and it might be a bit too close to shoot them coming in?

Edited by game_boy

Spend some time watching the birds coming to the field, entry and exit points, where they land etc then set up where you can best intercept them. Doesn't always have to be a 'U' shaped pattern. Watch birds on the field and see what they're doing. Very often on stubbles where the pickings can be poor (for the birds) they'll be well spread out searching for the grains even though they may all follow a similar flightline into the field. Also forget the old idea that all your deeks need to be placed 'head to wind', again if you watch the birds on the ground they'll be facing every which way, they' just land into wind as it gives them more control.