ESS @14 weeks

welshruger

I have just had my first ESS pup he is 14 weeks old, he has a lovely temperament, I picked him up today and he has not been house/litter trained. Firstly can anyone give be some basic pointers on how to get him trained into cra**ing on paper or pads (he is kept in my garage at the moment).

Secondly how much food should he be having (he was on can food, but I have started mixing some dry biscuits with it), should I give him some milk as well as water?

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

I have just had my first ESS pup he is 14 weeks old, he has a lovely temperament, I picked him up today and he has not been house/litter trained. Firstly can anyone give be some basic pointers on how to get him trained into cra**ing on paper or pads (he is kept in my garage at the moment).

Secondly how much food should he be having (he was on can food, but I have started mixing some dry biscuits with it), should I give him some milk as well as water?

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

With the food when I bought my lab as a puppy 8 Weeks I fed him on dried food but soaked in warm milk four times a day, I then started to dilute the milk with water like 75% milk 25% water, then gradually going to pure water soaked in the dried food. As the puppy gets older you give him less meals a day but larger meals. Eventually when the dog has a good gut you can either still give him his food which is moistened with water or completely dry.

And milk gives dogs Diarrhea when older its something to do with the lactose in it but it should be fine when they a puppy

As with the pooping all over the house take him out regular or when he does do a poop in the house discipline him and take him out straight the way

Tip: If you want the puppy to bond with you quicker chew some bread and give him it.

Df

Edited by dustyfox

Never used canned food, just cant stand the smell of it.

Get him on a puppy dry mix it will show you how much you need to feed him etc and make sure he has access to plenty of fresh water.

Its going to be difficult if he is in the garage but as soon as he wakes up and as soon as he eats get him outside for a wee and poo.

you might find yoursself standing out in the rain but the important thing is that the dog understands that the toilet is outside

Good luck and enjoy

Well he is still ******* well! (but he is on dry food and its getting better) when I take him out his nose is on the floor all the time, he walks better off the lead than on the lead. He love taking his little toy with him and alway brings it back when I throw it for him, he has a really gentle 'pick_up'.

I will post pictures of him over the weekend, after walking miles he always wants to go again. He does bark/wimper in the night BUT I ingore him.

Its all still new to me, BUT I keep you all informed!

Well he is still ******* well! (but he is on dry food and its getting better) when I take him out his nose is on the floor all the time, he walks better off the lead than on the lead. He love taking his little toy with him and alway brings it back when I throw it for him, he has a really gentle 'pick_up'.

I will post pictures of him over the weekend, after walking miles he always wants to go again. He does bark/wimper in the night BUT I ingore him.

I'm not on your case or anything but here's a couple of bits of advice for you

1. Don't under any circumstances walk the pup for miles its only 14 weeks old, bring him on short walks 10 to 20 min duration no more, do it as many times as you want during the day.

2. Don't walk that pup off the lead either let him get used to it, if he gets his head early he'll be gone out of sight every time you bring him out.

3. Let him play with his toy throw it for him and let him bring it back to you but don't take it off him immediately, let him play with it. It's his reward for being so clever. Don't do so many retrieves with him either, one every couple of days, but remember plenty of praise.

4. Before you feed him make him sit, as soon as his **** touches the floor give him his food.

5. Get yourself enrolled in some puppy training classes, they're not to actually train the dog, its to train you to be able to train the dog.

By the sounds of things you have a good little dog there, get it right from the start and he'll be an excellent companion.

Just my tuppence, don't forget the pics.

I'm not on your case or anything but here's a couple of bits of advice for you

1. Don't under any circumstances walk the pup for miles its only 14 weeks old, bring him on short walks 10 to 20 min duration no more, do it as many times as you want during the day.

2. Don't walk that pup off the lead either let him get used to it, if he gets his head early he'll be gone out of sight every time you bring him out.

3. Let him play with his toy throw it for him and let him bring it back to you but don't take it off him immediately, let him play with it. It's his reward for being so clever. Don't do so many retrieves with him either, one every couple of days, but remember plenty of praise.

4. Before you feed him make him sit, as soon as his **** touches the floor give him his food.

5. Get yourself enrolled in some puppy training classes, they're not to actually train the dog, its to train you to be able to train the dog.

By the sounds of things you have a good little dog there, get it right from the start and he'll be an excellent companion.

Just my tuppence, don't forget the pics.

Took the words out of my mouth. Especially bullet point one. The dogs hip is still growing you could damage them if you take him for long walks. It is recommended to add 5 minutes for every month he is, so he just over 3 months so take him out for a 15 minute walk and training session when he 4 month take him out for a 20 minute walk each time and so on, till he at least a year old you can take him out for a long walk.

Edited by dustyfox

Thanks for all the advice, I'll take it all on board. A very good point about walking him and distance, all good advice, took him out this morning for 15-20's, and there was NO 'poop' where I keep him and he did 'poop' in the woods so I gave him plenty of praise.

Differing opinion here, shared by many, is that I train 'heel' without a lead. I never had my cocker pup on a lead until she was about 9-10 months old.

Took him for a walk this afternoon, he had two cr**ps give him plenty of praise and when I though things were going well the little ****** found some mud, he started digging in it! you can imagine what he looked like and he totally ignored me so I had to walk in and get him only for him to run straight back in, it funny how they listen when they want to!