shooting accidents

deejay

Some years ago I managed to fire a muzzle loading punt gun in my living room. The bang was very loud and the burning wadding set fire to the curtains. The charge of shot ruined the carpet before punching a hole through the skirting board and the wall behind it.

The recoil sent the gun back about ten feet and smashed through the closed french windows. By the grace of god, no one was injured.

I pulled off a cap on a muzzle loader that I`d have sworn was empty. Evidently it was`nt. The bloke I was showing it to was impressed by its penetrative qualities and bought it there and then. When he had stopped shaking. Still makes my blood run cold when I think about what might have happened.

Nick.

That has to be the funniest thing I've ever read (weird considering what could have happened). It's great to read this kind of story, with a happy ending it's a light way to take in what can happen if we drop our concentration!

I'm lucky not to have ever had a mishap with a firearm. Even though I was pretty daft when I was a kid I always respected my guns. My gun checking routine is a little mad to be honest. I unload it before leaving it, but then check it every time I handle it. A shotgun may come out of the safe a dozen times without being used, but the first thing I do is break it :P

It's drummed in routine now, I always do it. Before packing up my rifle I always shove my finger in the chamber to check it and once it's home the bolt comes out.

I think the nearest I've come to trouble was with a home made gun when I was very young (about ten). I made a cannon up out of metal tubes and chemical metal in the garage, and the inner tube just happened to fit a .38cal barnett catapult ball perfectly. I sealed one end of the tube and drilled a small hole in the top at an angle, then used fishing line to pull the string of a party popper up the tube and through the hole so I could pull it to set it off in the tube. I then rammed a folded roll of 100 caps down the tube followed by the ball wadded with kitchen roll. My mate put an off cut of 6x2 against the shed and I pointed and pulled the string from about ten yards. The timber exploded, covering my mate in splinters, and the ball went through the shed never to be found. Shooting the same size offcuts to little effect with my .22lr has told me there must have been some serious energy behind that ball :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just want to bring up what could have been a very nasty accident yesterday.

6 of us were using the sporting clays at ashcombe in Devon, In the shed where you sign in and collect your score card is part of a s/s barrell, Well one of the barrells is completly ripped open. A small notice next to it reads that the gun was being used for some rough shooting and apparantly wedged itself into about 2" snow in end of barrell going over a fence. well pigeon overhead and the result is now on the wall. We all read it and commented about OMG that damage with SNOW!!

(I will take some photos as i plan to go there again soon)

Well we were about half way around when our most senior member pulls the trigger and the cartridge fizzled and popped, closing my eyes now i see fizzles coming from the joint/break point. Well without thinking he breaks the gun and removes the 'dead' cartridge. immediatly placing in another... Luckily everybody shouted to stop and checked the barrells. Sat in the barrell was still the fibre wad.....

This gentleman has been shooting since before i was born, He didnt do any thing stupid, Just didnt think when it happened. and thats what an accident is somebody just not thinking for a split second....

I dont know if he had pulled another cartridge what would have happened but I know i dont wanna find out!!