Digging with terriers

Tarka

Hi Dan

Your best bet is to go along and join your local Hunt or Working Terrier Club.

The Jack Russell Terrier Club of GB and The Fell and Moorland Working Terrier Club are probably the two most active clubs and both have regional branches.

Many aspects of terrier work are now banned under the Hunting Act, however, that doesn't mean to say the sport is finished and there are occasions when you can still legally enter a terrier and dig a fox that has gone to ground.

However, as you are probably aware the anti-hunting types are still out in force and monitoring the situation, and because of this it is very unlikely you would be invited out with a Terrierman who doesn't know you or your background well for any legal terrier work.

There is nothing to stop you training the dog yourself, most terriers will instinctively go to ground but a dog should never be forced or you will ruin it. Encourage them but let the dog do it in it's own time. Some will happily go down for the first time at 7-8 months but it can take up to two years. My best working bitch took 18 months but hasn't looked back since and I'm glad I persisted with her, as she's turned into a cracking little hunter and will take most quarry given the chance.

Terriers are often overlooked but they are also superb dogs for flushing out all manner of quarry for shooting.

If you have any trouble locating a Terrier Club or Hunt give me a shout.

Cheers

Michael