crows and me :post mortem

nagantino

Worst day. I set up at 4.00 pm, warmish, dry and bright, little wind. As I entered the field I walked off about 20 pigeons. I set up under an overhanging tree that I had used before. I set out two separate patterns of pigeons[4] crows[8]. I had no action for 30 mins and then drew 3 crows but missed each. I did frighten them though. I was shooting over barley with flattened patches. I used the patches for the decoys. Then nothing. Nice coffee. I made the hide a lot smaller as I thought the birds could see me from above. I removed all the pigeon decoys and brought the crow pattern closer. Zip. Left at 7 pm.

You get bad days, I know, but I wonder can anybody shed any light. I put the crow decoys close together to each other. Was this it? Any thoughts gratefully recieved.

Would need more info. Could be any number of things. Too many other places to feed and no one else moving them on. The 3 that you missed, where they the only birds in the air, or where there lots of birds about but just not decoying?

Where you visible to the birds. was the field overshot?

As you are aware you will get days when the birds just wont co operate. :good:

ballymac,

yeah, I was rethinking that post. Too many things to go wrong or maybe I was doing nothing wrong {except missing} I think the position of the hide was badly placed although I did have a little success with the same position before. No there were not too many birds flying that day right enough, but the hide was placed under a tree that the pigeons were flying into and I think I was spotted. Anyhooo I am out tomorrow again to a different field. I checked it out today and it was lively enough. The barley is badly flattened and low anyway, and I wonder will the farmer bother to cut it. What month of rain!

???

sometimes in NIreland 20 birds is a large flock ???

Yeah farmers having big probs getting crops in. The birds might benefit and there might be bigger flocks around when the weather gets colder. Just keep at it get a bit of a reccee done the day before. You probably know the area fairly well anyway, there doesn't seem to be many birds around at teh moment. Haven't had a shot in nearly 2 weeks. Might go for an early morning walk with the dog never know might bump into something that goes quack quack thump! ;)

Well I got out today at about 8.00 am. When I pulled into the deserted farm buildings it was misty and silent. I felt like an intruder. Jeepers, the road was covered with pigeons and the fields alive with crows. I set up in the corner previously checked out. Could I get those crows to come in?:whistling: They hovered above me or above the decs but not close enought to shoot. I was using my new gun , a Lanber Gold Sporter and am still a little unsure of its feel. Two pigeons on this field and left at 12.00 I went to my old spot near a Church up an old lane. Disgusting mess left by scum, tyres, spud peelings and other household rubbish. The council dump is 1/4 mile away. Jeezzzz. I left there and went to a new fieild but could not draw a single bird. Vole, your right I will be backkkkkk