first FAC - advise on filling in the form needed

Emmsy

i have been toying with the idea of a rifle for a while now but seemed to just borrow someone elses and not bother applying.

just recently i was offered a 22 rimfire so its about time i sorted out applying for the certificate.

i would quite like to use it for rabbits and a bit of target shooting (nothing serious just fun). what do i need to do in the way of filing in the form? do i need permission off someone for the shooting over land? how do i apply for a moderator? help please

Emmsy, if you don't know anyone who has gone through the process what you can do is, go to your local registered firearms dealer and ask them for help in filling out the application.

With regards to a moderator, you can ask for a sound moderator on your application.

I am sure it will ask you on the application form why you want one, or words to that effect, just put down vermin control and target shooting.

When I applied for mine, I am sure I had to have land to shoot on before I could have the licence issued.

The application forms are a bit daunting but go and sit down with some who can help you.

For hunting, your first priority is to secure permission to shoot on some land suitable for rimfire use that has been approved by your cheif constable as suitable for a complete novice. This would usually be somewhere that has rising or falling land behind the bunny you wish to shoot because the bullet usually passes through it and needs somewhere safe for it to lodge.

There's not a lot of point in even considering filling out the licence untill the above has been done. Since your prime interest seems to be hunting, getting the land to do it on may take quite some time depending on your location.

Or join a shooting club. I'm wondering why the person who has allowed you to use his rifle, and maybe offered to sell you one hasn't talked you through this

All the best mate.

thanks

the trouble is i suppose that at the moment i go out shooting rabbits with the girlfriends dad on land he has permission to shoot on. i have never even met the farmer so it will probably be hard to get permission. when i apply for a fac i would still intend to go shooting with him anyway

Potential dad in law would probably take you to see the farmer for permision if you intend to get involved any further. As he gets older he'd then have someone to help carry his guns and stuff about. Sounds like he's already taking you under his wing but not being too pushy about it. I'd certainly help my son in law get involved if he wanted to.

Go for it and all the best.

thanks

the trouble is i suppose that at the moment i go out shooting rabbits with the girlfriends dad on land he has permission to shoot on. i have never even met the farmer so it will probably be hard to get permission. when i apply for a fac i would still intend to go shooting with him anyway

you wont get a fac for shooting vermin unless you have land , you wont get one by saying that you go on someone elses land unless you too get a sig from the farmer