Blinds & whistles

Bingo

I have a 19 month old lab who is fairly competent but I do seem to have a few barriers that are preventing me from moving on to the next level. I have seen an earlier post which might cover the same problems that I am having?

The barriers that I seem to be facing at the moment are:

1. Follow a straight line on a blind for any real distance - even when shouting back he tends to veer off in one direction once he has passed say 10-20 meters - as if he has a better idea of where the dummy is! Though he generally ends up in the right place but it just takes longer than necessary

2. Stop to the whistle to receive directions when on blinds. He does stop eventually but only when he has realised that he cant find the dummy and I am jumping up and down like a madman blowing my whistle (which yes is probably teaching him that he can ignore it!)

He knows what 1 peep of the whistle means as I practice recalling him and when I peep the whistle he will stop before reaching me. However he get excited on blinds and choses to ignore the whistle.

If any of you know of any tricks that can be used to overcome the above I would be grateful to hear your advice

Thanks

Bingo

New to the flock,

Thanks for the quick response.

How is he on long sight retrieves?

He is fine with long sight retrieves, occasionally he tries to mark on his return but generally he is very good

Have you played "baseball" with him?

I am not exactly sure what you mean by baseball, I do make him sit and throw three dummies around him so to make a semi circle and then make him retrive them one by one, he is steady when I do this exercise.

What do you do when he ignores the stop whistle?

He continues in his quest for the dummy and does not at first stop to look at me, eventually he will stop to see what command I am giving him, I sometimes shout WAIT which he is more inclined to respond to than the whistle. I think it is because he is engrossed in what he is doing?

Hope these answers make sense

for the long blinds go to a field with a hedge or fence down one side with short grass ,a football pitch normaly is good put the dummy at 50 yards so it stands up on end [if poss a white one so the dog can see it easy] send the dog whill you are over it pointing so the dog is looking down your arm at the dummy with a good go back .keep doing this down the hedge side keep puting it firther out but allways so the dog can see it keep this up for a few weeks and you will see a big difference a

Bingo,

It sounds like you have a couple of problems to address before you work on blinds, so I would suggest that you stop blinds for now. The first problem is the stop whistle., It can not be "I will do it when I want" the dog must do it everytime he hears it and as soon as he hears it.

Can you give me an outline of how you have gone about training it and what the dog does when you blow the whistle while on lead and off lead.

Second problem is he is not confident with you in your sending and hand signals and/ or is confused by them. I would suggest that you start working him on "baseball" to sort this problem. Basically; you are home plate, the dog is on the pitcher's mound, there are bumpers placed (not thrown) on first, second and third bases. From these positions, you can send your dog R, L, or back. You can also put a sit whistle in on the cast. If she ignores the whistle, walk out and take her back to the point she was at when the whistle was blown. Sit her with the whistle and praise her when she sits. Walk back to home plate and continue the cast or retrieve. I'm sure you get the picture.

Remember to Praise Praise Praise. You are building her self confidence. Once this exercise has been mastered, start her on short retrieves lengthening out as the exercises are completed.

To start keep your bases about 20 yards apart. Once she is compitant at this distance move them out 10 yards to 30, and then again to 40.

This is where I would start and then build onto blinds and casting from here. If you have any questions just ask.

NTTF

The only thing I would add to NTTF,s post is that initially imo the Right and Left commands should be practised against a fence or wall so that the dog must run in a straight line at 90deg to "the pitchers plate". Gradually increasing the distance and the dogs confidence.

Once this part has been achieved 100%. Go backs should be instilled by using the same fence or wall gradually increasing the distance the dog is sent back along the line of the fence..

Finally bring the whole thing together by returning to the "baseball" set up with lefts, rights and go backs all together.

AS NTTF says keep the praise going, keep the lessons short, always quit when your ahead and everyone is happy.

:rolleyes: D2D

Guys,

Thanks for all the good advice I will definitely try these approaches - It s worth the effort as I think he will end up being a V useful gundog and is infact fine for what I currently do at the moment :good: (pigeon and rabbit shooting) but with a bit of training I hope to take it that step further.

NTTF, you asked how I have gone about training and what does he do when I whistle while on the lead and off lead. Re the training I take him out a couple of times a week for about 3/4 of an hr and also attend a gundog club for a few hrs most weeks.

As to his reaction to the whistle... if he is not on a retrieve he will always sit when he hears one peep, this applies to when he is on the lead or off the lead. The only other times that he does not obey this command is if he is playing with other dogs!!! In other words he has selective hearing :look: .

Anyway thanks again and I will hopefully provide you with a positive update in the future