Bleuing Barrells

mattslaptop247

I have a R Robinson s/s English shotgun, but the blueing is showing signs of wear near where the forend is, presumably from 80 years of hands catching the barrells, I also have a blueing gel. How easy is it to bring the barrells up to a good condition? Any tips or advice greatly appreciated. Dont want to give it ago and make a bad job of it. Help :oops:

Edited by mattslaptop247

i black barrels as a job, you will never be able to do it your self with the chemicals you get in a tub fom a gun shop, they are just passible on scratches, if you want it to look new its gonna cost you.

midcounties blacking

is my bussiness

if you wanted it doing right, give me a call

07789253319 Darren... as if you took it to a shop they would put there amount ontop to the summ of 140,,ish and then send it to me any way.

i black barrels as a job, you will never be able to do it your self with the chemicals you get in a tub fom a gun shop, they are just passible on scratches, if you want it to look new its gonna cost you.

midcounties blacking

is my bussiness

if you wanted it doing right, give me a call

07789253319 Darren... as if you took it to a shop they would put there amount ontop to the summ of 140,,ish and then send it to me any way.

What sort of price would it be?

I've used the chemical blueing stuff in a tube years ago when I cosmetically restored an old Webley Falcon .22, t'was back in 1979/80. As far as I can remember it came up quite acceptable but nowhere near as good as new. It looked better than bare metal and it didn't cost more than the gun was worth.

"Flying" Cyril.

I re-did an airsporter, it came up great with the birchwood casey blueing stuff. It needed 3 coats or so to get it as dark as I wanted it, but it looks superb.

The only thing I would say is that is needs to be kept well oiled as it apears that surface rust apprars easier althought it can always just be wiped off without marking underneath.

the trick is all in the preparaition, make sure the metal is perfect and vry clean before atempting it. I would say have a go, and if all goes wrong then get the chap that can professionally do it to re-finish it.

I can Pm you a pic of how the airsporter came out if it will help you... Pm and let me know if you want it.

M

I have had a go at reblueing, pistols ,rifles and shotguns and in all cases the results are only fair. Its an industrial process and requires dangerous chemicals and baths and yatty yatty. Reblueing parts is passable becauce the parts are small, but on a shotgun the blued surfaces are large with lots of hand contact. If reblued and left in a cabinet ok but for general and real use it won't work. Reblueing is the holy grail of gun guys worldwide. Wee bottles from a shop are for retouching only.