stubble

harveykeitel22

had a gd two days over a 2 week period on barley stubble had 140 on the first day of the first weekend, then on the following weekend, on the field,had 114 in three hour session with a mate, so plenty about still on the stubble, planning to go this saturday with my mate again, fingers cross for a red letter day, any one having joy on the stubble?

I only had a couple of hours this morning and shot 21 pidgeons and 8 rooks. Should have been more there were literally hundreds of pidgeons on the stubble when i arrived. looks like they were after the clover pushing through. The action slowed after half an hour when it poured it down. :good: Will probably go again sunday morning :yes:

I thought come back with how I got on this week. I was all set up for a good days shooting and had checked the weather forecast endlessly. Bright sunshine and windy. As i was driving up to the field I was going to shoot over, I could see the crows and pigeons flying at great speed and the crows were perfoming the most fantasic acrobatics and this was over a grass field and not stubble or the like. I set up on the edge of the field and had to be careful about shot direction as the farmer had told me he had complaints about hail falling on rooftops. First bird in was a feral pigeon cleanly killed then an impossible shot at a fast magpie....down it went. I thought I was in for a red letter day but it was not to be.

Crows predominated for the next few hours but the hell could I hit them. They were flying fast and high but were interested in the pattern but the way they were jinking and weaving was beyond my ability. Very frustrating. About 2 pm woodpigeons began to show up but flying very fast. I ate my sandwich and crisps and got the odd bird and gave up at 3.30. I was freezing by now and the wind had given the hide a real battering. A tiny kill of 5 birds or so.

When I thought back the magpies I have hit lately are winging fast and were shot on instinct...when I stand up and try to aim the gun at hovering crows or interested pigeons I miss. As I drove away I thought ...Thats it untill Spring but today I thought Well I might get out again next week. Its a bloody drug....more more

Barnfieldrd301008009.jpg

Barnfieldrd301008010.jpg

Barnfieldrd301008015.jpg