New to decoying

PTaylor2k4

Hi,

i've never decoyed before and i'm thinking of buying a few decoys to try and improve my bag.

i'm after crows, magpies and pigeons so which are the best decoys to go for?

i was thinking of getting a large owl for maggies and crows but im unsure about pigeons. If i buy a couple of crows/maggie decoys to use with the owl or maybe hang a maggie on a fence could these be used near pigeon decoys as 'confidence birds'? i read this somewhere.

Im using a .177 12ft/lbs air rifle :lol: so any help in choosing a few and maybe where to get them would be great, oh and which are the best 'type' to go for? like shell, full etc

Thanks

:lol:

yeh but which ones!? :lol:

and how do you place em?

Each to there own, you cant beat natural birds, but to get them you gotta have decoys lol

I use plastic flocked full bodied ones until I have enough real ones to create a pattern

In general a horseshoe shaped pattern is acceptable, facing into the wind. But dont have them set out like a regiment, have a few offset ones.

Hi PT,

Pigeons and magpies don'y readily mix, so you will need to target one or the other.

My preference for pigeons is to use full bodied deeks, as the shell type never seem as effective, particularly when the birds are approaching low in a strong wind, as they can see the daylight underneath them. You need as many as you can put out on rape, i.e. 20 or 30, less on fresh drillings, but on every occasion, you MUST be in the right place on the field, which you can establish through good reconnaisance the day before. Experience has taught me that this is invariably the furthest possible point away from where you can park the car..!!

You will also need a rotary on rape, and there are a number of good lightweight models available.

If you are after magpies, the best way to thin them out is to use a Larsen Trap, however if you are the lucky sort of guy with loads of time on your hands and don't mind sitting motionless for 3 or 4 hours, I'm told that if you put a crow and a magpie on the rotary in an area where maggies frequent, it draws them in well, however, I don't fancy your chances of zapping many of them with an airgun, and I would recommend about 32 grams of No 7 through 1/4 choke.

Good luck.

Double H

I've seen airgun pellets bounce off pigeons...!!!

No doubt somebody will say they can kill 'em clean at 150 yards with an airgun, but half the fun of shotgunning them is to shoot them on the wing.

By the way, you don't need an FAC to get a shotgun, and unless you have a dodgy record with the law, acquiring a shotgun certificate should not be problem.