Ford Explorer LPG

fortune82

The Ford Explorer is a cracking car.

However my son refers to them as the Ford Exploder.

A few years ago we received several enquiries for the LPG conversion of Ford Explorers. Our equipment supplier advised us not to quote, as there was a problem.

It transpired that whilst some V6 Explorers ran perfectly on LPG, some did not, and had a habit of backfiring. It later came to light that the Ford ECU had a fault, which showed its hand on some, but not on others. The unit was however passed as fit for purpose, as the fault did not affect the car when on petrol.

We therefore refused to convert any Explorers, as we had no wish to create boomerang customers.

It didn't take long for a number of LPG converted Explorers to start arriving at our workshops to see if we could do anything with them. Whilst some faults were due to faulty components and / or poor workmanship, a few clearly were not. The advent of Multi Point Sequential LPG Injection solved the problem, however by then most of the Explorers that were ever going to be converted had been.

So my advice to you is find out if the conversion is Single Point, if it is, beware! When you inspect under the bonnet, look out for the telltale K&N air filter. If one has been fitted walk away, you will be buying trouble.

webber

I cant advise on road tax, but you will find your answer on the DVLA website.

The autogas system should be checked over by a qualified technician once a year, usually a few weeks before the MOT.

The cost varies dependant on the system fitted, and what parts if any are required. Most sytems that we check require an hours labour and an LPG filter, expect to pay around £50. Many of our customers now get us to do the whole job, including the MOT, as we have an arrangement with a local test facility.

webber

Webber is going to hate me for this but personally LPG isn't all its cracked up to be. Yes its cheap but performance wise I really don't think its all that, everyone says its less than 10% you loose power wise but it feels far more. I've got 10 LPG vehicles all factory converted and if it wasn't for the fact they are congestion charge exemp i'd have diesels every time. Get them on the motorway and you'll spot the difference when you put your foot down on a hill immediately just doesn't move yet flip to petrol they are fine. Ours also return 20% lower economy wise on gas and these are all multi point injection so works out about the same as a diesel for fuel costs.

Unless you do mega mileage just get a petrol one rather than spend £1500 plus converting it

Al4x

You are of course entitled to your opinion, and with respect, have hit the nail squarely on the head, with the statement "factory converted" The majority of motor manufacturers who offered LPG as an option offered mediocre equipment, and charged top dollar for it. Its common knowledge in the LPG conversion industry as to what happened.

If you would like to speak to some of the satisfied customers of performance and prestige cars that we have converted with the latest equipment I shall be happy to obtain their permission to pass on their contact details.

webber