.243 and .308

TheHunter

I have noticed in some of the threads that some members have a .243 AND a .308. I currently have a .243 on my FAC and I am allowed to shoot deer, fox and all types of pest and vermin. What justification do you have on your FAC which allows both weapons? I could understand a .223 (fox & vermin\pest) and .308(deer) but .243 and .308 seem too close together.

Thanks

Edited by TheHunter

Hunter ,

Some think that the .243 is not enough gun for the big red stags and the .308 to much gun for the smaller roe . So they go for two calibres . There absolutly nothing wrong with this view . I being a one gun stalker so i go for the .308 . I used to use a .270 but in my opinion is to much gun for any of the british deer species ,but i used to use my .270 in north america on the bigger deer species . Dare i say it again . The .308 is the jack of all trades rifle and the master of them all .

Harnser .

Baldrick ,

I have and will shoot foxes with the .308 . I only take deer for the table or when they become a problem ( which incidently is most of the time ) Foxes are not a problem on the farms as there is no longer a game shoot . The neighbours have a game shoot and i have agreed to shoot any foxes that i come across to help them out and on occasion they are allowed access to the farms to lamp the foxes . I tend to go around with them to act as a guide and to help out . Harnser .

I shoot as many foxes as I do deer, but I get very little use from my .30-06, the .243 doing the majority of the work. Like you, I think the one rifle approach has real merit, but the .30-06 is a little excessive for day-to-day work. I note that you used to use a .270: I'm thinking that a .270 or a .308 will give me maximum benefit.

Few people have a good word to say about the .270 though.

I personally think that the 308 is the the best for everythying, bar rabbits and other small game it has the power for bore at close range and also deer and fox, there are new rules for constabulatorys (spelling?) that shows they are going to let you use deer calibers for the control of fox.

Stevethevanman

I shoot as many foxes as I do deer, but I get very little use from my .30-06, the .243 doing the majority of the work. Like you, I think the one rifle approach has real merit, but the .30-06 is a little excessive for day-to-day work. I note that you used to use a .270: I'm thinking that a .270 or a .308 will give me maximum benefit.

Few people have a good word to say about the .270 though.

Baldrick ,

Theres nothing wrong with the .270 . As a one gun stalker it would be more useful in say north america for the large antelope ,moose , mule deer ,sheep and goats . I used one for many years and never ever lost a deer that i shot with it . They do tend to be noisey particulary at first light in woodland and in my humble opinion they are a bit of a cannon and an over kill for the deer species in this country . In many parts of the states the .270 is revererd for its flat shooting when long shots are the norm ,particulary in the plains states and shooting across valleys in the more mountainess states for goats and sheep . Harnser .

samsungphone019.jpg

Unpopular ? shot these last night with my new .270 rem mountain lss. i use a .243 for most of my fox shooting but have been very impressed with this setup it shoots very very flat these foxes were shot out over 250yds of the sticks , recoil is no worse than my .243 now it has been moderated

The answer to the question as i see it is the .243 is nothing like the .308 even if it shares the same case the ballistics are totally different. For foxes and small deer the .243 is at it best and that is what it was designed for . But if you want a deer calibre then the .308 /.3006 are the ones to go for. If you want a calibre that is an alround calibre then the 6.5 x ** are the ones to look at. ps this is just in Britain. I had a .270 for a good few seasons and it was a fantastic rifle and suited my then passion for the open hill. I am now down off the hills most of the time and doing woodland stalking and fox control. Hence the 6.5 x 55 :good: