Ferrets - Give the lad a chance

christchurch

New to this so hello all

Been reading the site and looks great

Have recently moved to Winchester and on a walk last Sunday mentioned to my son (9) that I once had a ferret (about 30 years ago).

On Monday he goes to the library and pulls out all the books on ferrets!

Seems keen but would like him to have some hands on and get some knowledge before committing

Any chance anyone willing to let us tag along on a trip over the holiday?

Much appreciated

Sorry to pinch your post.

But i would just like to thank Tiercel for putting sweepy in touch with someone round are way about long nets.

Little Sweepy has been taking Sweepys ferrets out most sundays.

And for some time he has wanted longnets .

So guess what his got coming for Christmas.

Thank you TC for pointing Ash in the right direction. Not only are they getting the nets this sunday they are also being shown how to use them . My boy is well made up.

It so nice to know that their are people out there so willing to show these young boys the skills and to have the time to past them on.

I dont know if the person who is showing my two on sunday is the member off this site.

If you are i would like to say a very big thank you .

xxxxSuzy

Sweepy - no problems - how old are your boys - mines 8 coming on 9.

We have just moved out of London and are settling in to a new way of life down here. Once I can get him out a few times and he seems to like it, I will get him a ferret.

I had an offer to go pigeon shooting the other week - got a couple - never seen William so happy - sat as quite as anything and loved catching the cartridges when breaking the gun! He seems to be picking things up quickly as he had no problems pluckinga dn cleaning them.

I feel he will need a year or so before going out on his own - We live just in town but have identified a farm with a few rabbits on the edge of town so hope we may be able to get permission once we get an animal.

Anyway for the moment we are reading books and looking forward to any offers to tag along.

I have also contacted a few clubs and one has responded.

Only huntinng today was around Sainsburys which is more like a war zone!

Hope you all have a good Christmas

Hi Christchurch

Welcome to PW

My boys are 15+11

The 15 year olds been hunting since he was about ten. His been shooting the last two years. We have just transfered his shotguns onto his own licence to celebrate he went out and bought a 410. So those poor bunnies have not just got to worry about the ferrets now. :yes:

He would really like to get the lurcher too but at the mo thats not possible.

My other boy is slowly getting into shooting but i dont think he will be so into it as the other one.

It so good to see the other youngster getting into it.And by the sound of it he really is :drinks:. If you ever get the chance take him lamping. My two just love it.And you do see so much more wildlife at night.

I think their are two main things they learn from starting at the early age.

And that is respect for their elders. They will learn alot from just sitting and talking to someone whos been shooting for years.

And respect for the countryside and the wildlife in it .Also respect for what they hunt.

This is a good site to get alot of this from. We have a good mix on here and many who will be willing to help you and your son .

My oldest boy is the member on here as well as the few more youngsters. I think Magboy must be the youngest.(his posts in sporting pictures or his dads(Magman) are worth alook .

Ferretmaster& and flash posts will intertest your boy too.

I hope you both get as much enjoyment out of the sport as i do with my family.

xxxxSuzy