Gun Fit - Help?

jonnyoftheboy

A question for the more experienced.....

Guys....

in your opinion, is the best place for a gun fit

On the shooting ground with a coach?

At the gunsmiths?

obviously big difference pricewise...do you get what you pay for by having it done at the ground? Or a waste of money & having it done at gunsmith's is just as good?

Opinions?

Before you get a gun fit you need to know your stance and mount are correct. There is no pint in getting a gun fitted and then standing and mounting incorrectly.

In Kent, good coaches to see are Barry Gibbs down nr Sandwich, or Cliff Hughes who works out of Dartford SG.

Look for a coach in your vicinity on the CPSA web site, you can search by county. Go for a Level 3 Senior Coach or at least a Level 2 sporting one.

Any good coach will assess you existing gun fit and advise. Tell them you want to understand gun fit and take the lesson with that purpose, so where and when you have it fitted you will understand what is being recommended and why.

It has to be said, that most people fit them selves to the gun, rather than the gun to them ie the put the gun to the shoulder then adjust themselves to get a correct eye alignment. What good gun fir means, is that when you have adopted a correct shooting posture and you mount the gun correctly, the eye alignment is automatically correct.

Also, unless your gun fit is seriously out, tuning it up will not make dramatic differences to your scores, while instilling good stance, mount and technique may make a major difference.

Get good coaching first. When your stance, mount and method is good, and you have gathered a basic understanding of gun fit yourself, them move on to spend money on the gun, if need be.

Money spent on good coaching is generally a better investment than playing with the equipment.

Lots of good advice on all of this in the CPSA's publication the Clay Target Shooters Handbook. EBay and CPSA site.

Edited by clayman

Before you get a gun fit you need to know your stance and mount are correct. There is no pint in getting a gun fitted and then standing and mounting incorrectly.

In Kent, good coaches to see are Barry Gibbs down nr Sandwich, or Cliff Hughes who works out of Dartford SG.

Look for a coach in your vicinity on the CPSA web site, you can search by county. Go for a Level 3 Senior Coach or at least a Level 2 sporting one.

Any good coach will assess you existing gun fit and advise. Tell them you want to understand gun fit and take the lesson with that purpose, so where and when you have it fitted you will understand what is being recommended and why.

It has to be said, that most people fit them selves to the gun, rather than the gun to them ie the put the gun to the shoulder then adjust themselves to get a correct eye alignment. What good gun fir means, is that when you have adopted a correct shooting posture and you mount the gun correctly, the eye alignment is automatically correct.

Also, unless your gun fit is seriously out, tuning it up will not make dramatic differences to your scores, while instilling good stance, mount and technique may make a major difference.

Get good coaching first. When your stance, mount and method is good, and you have gathered a basic understanding of gun fit yourself, them move on to spend money on the gun, if need be.

Money spent on good coaching is generally a better investment than playing with the equipment.

Lots of good advice on all of this in the CPSA's publication the Clay Target Shooters Handbook. EBay and CPSA site.

I agree with Clayman . There is little point in having a gun made to fit you unless your gun mount is correct . For this you need an experienced coach and a pattern plate. If anyone starts the process by putting the but of the gun in the crook of your elbow and looking where your hand comes on the stock , walk away!

The only measurement you might do in the shop is a rough change to the stock length if you cannot otherwise mount the gun.

Edited by T.C.

i know its a bit of a trek for you ,but i have been dealing with the oxford gun company, in oakley, oxon

go and see shirley or doug........they show you stance....gun mount......and everything else you need to know

BEFORE they take you out on the ground to put some lead in the air.

.................. :good: .................... :good: ....................... :oops: .............................. :lol: .....

E J Churchill are very nr Marlow. http://www.wwsg.org.uk

Super ground.

Gerry Keegal, CPSA coach, does work by appt there.

Gerry Keegal, SG Coaching

171 Argyle Avenue, Hounslow, Middlesex TW3 2lp

Cell: +44 7836 266 134

Phone: +44 20 8893 8268

Fax: +44 20 8893 8258

E-mail: gerry.Keegal@sg-coaching.org.uk

Web: www.sg-coaching.org.uk

i have been shooting clays for over twenty years now mostly sporting.two years ago i moved over to skeet so i bought a new gun, the gunsmith in the local shop that i bought it from said it fits like a glove felt ok have had some good scores but over the last six months my scores started dropping the owner of my local ground who is a very good gun smith and stock maker looked at my gun fit and said it was all wrong but i struggled on with it.two months ago i decided to change my gun again for a perazzi i ordered the gun and went to the factory for a fitting well what a difference that is i spent an hour with the master gunsmith setting the stock on a test gun and testing it in the tunnel on a pattern plate until it was perfect now i have a new mx2000/8 sporter that is perfect and i am now back to getting good high scores.so my advise is if you want the best from your gun get it done properly and it is money well spent.also if you can test it on a pattern plate keep doing so until you are happy with the fit.

i got it through a french dealer i know.i was quoted back in october £5500 for a 32" mx2000\8 sporter with multichokes but because of the weak pound it has now cost me £6100.

my only advise is depending on your budget make sure the gun you buy is fitted right even if it cost a couple hundred quid to get it right, if not you will be throwing good money away and allways blaming the gun for poor results.as for the blazer my personal choice would be to leave it alone lot of money for not a lot of gun but thats me.again depending on your budget i would go for a perazzi or a DT10 if you got the money to spend.now i got a gun that fits perfect i will keep this one for good.

:bye2: