ESS 7 months

welshruger

I have an ESS and he is 7 months old, I cannot leave him off his lead as he runs off, no matter what I do he will NOT come back, I fear that he'll get run over by a car or even get lost. Today he ran off and he almost got run over, I am at the end of my tether with him. He listens in the house and in the garden! HELP

Well I took him out into a tennis court today on his 50' lead, he did really well! made no attempt to run off, walked to heel, retrieved, stayed until call (whistle) and had him to stop using the whistle again, great. THEN when we got home I was putting him in his kennel/run and the little ****** ran off again, he would NOT come back, calling him whistle, no effect found him 20 mins later! he is driving me crazy!!!

Hi

Am only having a guess but has he got any FTCh in his bloodline.

We had the same with are springer

You take her out her heads on the go all the time . When she sits her bum just hovering and never touches the ground her ears are pricked.Her tail is going so fast you think shes about to take off.

We had the big problem with her taken off. My biggest fear was as she was so fast and covered ground in seconds she would end up on the A12.(The few miles from my house but the way she covered ground when she did a runner she would have got their in seconds. :hmm: )

Like you we got to the stage of pulling out hair.

We tried many things i think each dog is different what we found to be the most effect which may not work for everyone was the small pastic bottle with stones in.

We took it on every walk. And the min she took off we rattle it . It was enough to get her attention off what she was doing and back to us.

And if that did not work then we chucked it.Not at her but just near her.We got so good at aiming both Sweepy and Myself could be on the England cricket team. :good:

Any way this worked for us it dont work for everyone.

I also think age has the thing to do with it too.And i do think it is a springers tait to do this.

If its make you feel any better . We do now have a great little worker in are springer .Who seems to get better each year . She now two and a half.So i also think aged also has a big part to play with it to.

Try not to worry to much you will get their in the end.

And still have some of you hair. :P

xxxxSuzy

Plus as you get wiser you also get to read the signs before they bolt so your that one step ahead off them .

Sorry

Dont think my brain was working this morning.

Just had a thought while i was hanging out my washing (i do all my best thinking at the washing line) :good: .

At seven months he might be just a little bit young to do the bottle thing.

It could be something you could try later as the last resort when his a bit older.

Just take no notice of me am blonde, female,And from Essex .

I know nothing. :good::oops:

Sorry

xxxxSuzy