springer dog or bitch ?

darren m

Personal preference, one's as bad as the other from a training/personality point of view. Do you have other dogs to work?

I have a bitch but if I was having another and only had one dog I would have a dog, as a bitch being in heat may coincide with the shooting season.

WGD

I have a springer bitch, she is 2 1/2 yrs old, I had another one before her. Personally I've never had a problem with either of them coming into heat during the shooting season, but then that would depend alot on when they were born too.

I personally prefer bitches in general as they tend to be more loyal.

A word of warning about springers though!!!! They can be a bit wild!!! :yes::lol:

Coming into heat is the only negative I think.

I asked an old friend the same thing before I bought my cocker bitch. He said dog all the way but that they can be very head strong. I've been out with him a lot recently and although his dogs are well trained and he gets good feednack from others in the field, he is constantly keeping on top of them. He couldn't walk 100 yards without speaking to them. And trust me when I say they are trained, just extemely head strong.

Bitch

James

Over the years I have had both and there isn't much between them. I've had bitches that are head strong and dogs that are very timid. I guess you takes your choice when you see the litter?

The coming into season shouldn't be a concern unless like some idiots you decide to take an on-heat bitch out beating with a load of dogs - has happened to me once this season and I may as well put the dogs back in the car as the chance of a sh@g takes over! Well they say dogs are like their owners. :)

Gillaroo