wandering on a retreive

ratus

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice, the re-training with Spencer is going well, went back to basics, but have found that when i whistle him in from a retreive, he will do everything fine, except stop for a pee, is this acceptable? or should he be comming back with no distractions?

Thanks for any advice

Ratus

This is not acceptable. It shows that his mind is not fully on you and is disregarding your command. This will progress to a point where he will no come back at all.

To fix it. Before you call him up expect this is going to happen and put yourself into a good position so that you get out to him if/when he stops for a pee.

If he does stop, you should get to him as quick as possible (and if you have planned it right you should only have to take ten steps), grab him by the rough of the neck and back up pulling him with you for two or three steps at the same time blow the return whistle (don't over do the whistle). Let him go and still back up blowing the whistle and perhaps slapping your legs to encourage him in.

Once he comes to you praise him. Sit him let him settle. No more scolding or repremand. Nice a calm and all forgotten - Dog training has no place for anger and retrebution.

Pat him and send him/release him again.

Never scold him once he comes to you. Dogs live in the moment.

The principle here is that to the dog you are omnipresent. He stops and all of a sudden you are there.

This was the method advised by the great Peter Moxom and one that I use and after a couple of session like this it will be cured.

That said. you have to be on the ball all the time. As soon as you dog ignores a command then you should be on him quick smart.

You don't need pain. That fact that you are on to your dog so fast he will wonder how the hell you knew he was gfoing to do that.

You have to be one step ahead and whilst training, always put yourself into a good position before giving the command.

Don't overdo it. Once he has come to you or you have had to get to him twice. call it a day, play with a ball and leave happy.

Hope this helps

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice, the re-training with Spencer is going well, went back to basics, but have found that when i whistle him in from a retreive, he will do everything fine, except stop for a pee, is this acceptable? or should he be comming back with no distractions?

Thanks for any advice

Ratus

Depends what you want from your dog,

I was penalised in a working test because after a water retrieve Merlin stopped on the bank and shook himself. He still returned the dummy to me and to hand. Other dogs that didn't stop and shake but didn't return the dummy to hand scored better.

If you are into field trials then I am quite sure you will be excluded if your dog stops to pee but if you want a dog that is a shooting dog rather than robot then I wouldn't worry about it.

If he stops to pee on every retrieve then you need to do something about it.

Grey beared, Thanks for your advice, will be onto him later on, i can predict it almost everytime he's about to carry out his own thing, so hopefully he'll be squared in no time, thanks again!

Lurcherboy, i know what you mean about having to go, but i think he's just trying his push his position, it happens most of the time he retreives,

MC, No fear of doing any trials with him, but it just seems to be a defiance act, which i believe is unacceptable, he also drops wildfowl when exitiing water, shakes off picks up and returns to hand.