Rook shooting on my farm shoot

happyshooter

hi guys, i had a call from the farmer of my local farm shoot he has a major rook problem

on a field of sprouting animal feed beans, the rooks eating them and doing major crop damage,so yesterday morning i set up while it was still dark a hide in a place advised by the famer , the farmer had dumped 6 straw bales so i used these to build a hide with some telescopic hide poles as well and a couple of camo nets , then set out the decoys and some flappers, Weapons of choice my fac rapid mk1.22 at 40fpe+bis mag pellets and my 12g remy1100 shot gun

so i settled down and soon as it was hardly light the recce rooks were about settling on a near by tree , about 20 mins later a large flock came in and landed about 40 yds out where my deeks ended, i let them settle down and start feeding and took aim with my rapid at one large rook a chest shot absolutely bowled him over ,panic erupting amongst his mates cawing like hell and flying around like demented helicopters a whole lot landed nr the dead rook and i quickly shot 3 more before the rest took off, gents i have,nt had so much shooting fun for ages i finished the morning with 10 dead rooks the most i have ever shot with an airgun, rooks are not a normal problem on this farm but this large flock had gone bean barmy , i had my flask of hot soup and got out my trusty remy 1100 12g semi auto shottie and set up 7 oF the dead rooks as decoys i use large meat skewers that my late mother used to use stuck through under the rooks beaks and propping them up, i didn,t have to wait long they soon came back not in a larege flock but 5-10 at a time

i soon passed my mornings total and over the next 2hrs shot 18 rooks , before they had enough and disappeared the total bag 28 rooks and one very happy farmer.

atb brian

Sounds like a hell of shoot. I'm interested in doing this myself but there's no-where around my area i know of where i can. There are a few Rooks and Pigeon on my shoot but they rarely travel the only areas where possible to build a hide. Pesky birds.

Well done. Wish i could get an FAC Rapid :good:

Lewis

• 1 month later...

Hello Happyshooter.

I am interested in what decoys you used to get such a large bag of rooks from a hide. Were they pigeon deeks?

and how did you set them up.

I have been a pigeon shooter for 40 years but have never shot rook from a hide, would like to know how.

Well done.

JLW, From Harlow.