I don't really think there is an all round bullet for fox and deer unless you are only shooting small deer e.g munty or chinese water, if this is your quarry then the Hndy 58gn V-Max is the man for the job.

For the larger deer the Nosler partition 95gn can really pack a punch and has both expansion and weight retention.

If you are reloading, I would work up two loads but remember the Nosler bullets are twice the price of the Hornady.

I don't agree with any "Overkill" sentiment because dead is "DEAD" but foxing with 100+gn bullets does make a bit of a mess.

I don't really think there is an all round bullet for fox and deer unless you are only shooting small deer e.g munty or chinese water, if this is your quarry then the Hndy 58gn V-Max is the man for the job.

58gn VMax for deer?:good:? :good: :good:

At .243 speeds these are far too explosive, even the little fellas have thick skins.

If you are going to use ballistic tips for deer then at least use a hunting bullet and not a varmint bullet.

I know its not as sexy as using all the trendy ballistic tip teflon coated amunition but i use PPU 100g soft point for fox and deer - one round for all - I only have to learn the hold over for one round which simplifies it all for me and as its a cheap round 100g shure sorts out the foxes and keeps me legal for the deer!

Whilst we are on this subject about taken certain deer with a .243, what are your views about taken red stags with this caliber?? I understand its all about shot placement- but for highland stalking do you think this caliber will pack enough punch for a 200- 250 yard shot?? I really cant afford another rifle yet. If its gonna be at its limits l simply wont attempt it.

I am also aware that you can get 105- 110 grain v max bullets of some type- would these benefit me in any way??

controversial - a 100grain .243 at 250yards has roughly the same power as 150grain .308 but drops less so yes more than capably for highlad long shots!

: 100grain .243 is 1900ft/lb at barrel and 1300 ft/lb at 250yards

150 grain .308 is 2600 ft/lb at barrel and 1500ft/lb at 250 yards

the 308 packs alot more punch close in - but the real answer is dont take red deer shots at 250 its a long way out - stalk better get closer . and use either callibre.

Whilst we are on this subject about taken certain deer with a .243, what are your views about taken red stags with this caliber?? I understand its all about shot placement- but for highland stalking do you think this caliber will pack enough punch for a 200- 250 yard shot?? I really cant afford another rifle yet. If its gonna be at its limits l simply wont attempt it.

I am also aware that you can get 105- 110 grain v max bullets of some type- would these benefit me in any way??

I wouldn't attempt such a shot, despite the confidence I had in my old .243, and in my abilities. You won't find an estate stalker using a .243 for such shots.

I thought .243 topped out at 105gr A-Max, which are not expanding bullets. If you are shooting at 250-yard stags, you want at least a .25-06. I have a .30-06 for such jobs, and a .270 on the way.

Edited by Baldrick

I wouldn't attempt such a shot, despite the confidence I had in my old .243, and in my abilities. You won't find an estate stalker using a .243 for such shots.

I thought .243 topped out at 105gr A-Max, which are not expanding bullets. If you are shooting at 250-yard stags, you want at least a .25-06. I have a .30-06 for such jobs, and a .270 on the way.

I absolutely agree with Baldrick.

The estate where I go on the Hind cull won't allow anything smaller than 6.5x55, and all

the estate rifles are .270Win.