Training a young stalker

Subsonic Flyer

My son is keen to start stalking and has been coming with me for the last six months. He has had plenty of target practice and has become a good shot. To start him off on larger game using my .243 he has taken a number of daylight foxes and this is a picture of one taken by him this weekend. Next step is his first deer.

post-11-1108988517.jpg

You guys know your rifles. Its a Steyer Prohunter MK2 with a Schmidt & Bender PM11 scope.

I took the DSC1 course several years ago and found much of it to ben very informative. What realy **** me off was the shooting test. Only three of us passed first time (out of 15) most candidates had multiple attempts one guy couldant even hit the target board but eventualy they passed everyone!! I pitty the deer in their area :rolleyes:

i had a very competant friend, a real old hand at the sport take the test recently and he said it was the easiest part, i was told it was a 10cm zeroing target that you had to get the shots in at any chosen discipline, is this true, he often dosent say what he means as he is getting on a bit, so just woundering how sound this information is?

If I remember correctly, you have to place 4 shots in a 4" bull at 100 yards from any shooting position you like and using any support you would normally have while stalking. You then have two shots at a roe target that has a bull of approx 6" from 100 yards any position, 2 shots from 70 yards sitting and 2 shots from 40 yards standing. You can use sticks or other aids from all positions.

In my opinion if you cannot achieve this you should not be stalking until you can. Not wishing to blow my own trumpet but I practice a lot, its good for me and the deer!

post-11-1109075474.jpg

so its very much like the deer stalking competition that is run at most sporting clubs. tbh i cant see where the problem is in achiving the forementioned, if you can use any aid, then tripod, so you can shoot some very good groups. well when i take my test i can give my actual experiance, untill then its more speculation